How to Soft/Hard/Factory Reset iPhone of All Models
Category: iPhone Issues
4 mins read
In this article:
- Part 1: Differences between Soft Reset, Hard Reset and Factory Reset
- Part 2: How to Soft Reset iPhone
- Part 3: How to Hard Reset iPhone
- Part 4: How to Hard Factory Reset iPhone (5 Ways)
As a big fan of the iPhone, you want your device to function as perfectly as possible. However, many users may encounter a situation where their phones start lagging or freezing. In this case, most of them can do nothing but resort to resetting their iPhones.
This seems to be a good idea. Nevertheless, users get confused about how to reset iPhones mainly because they haven't done that before. More importantly, they fear that data on iPhones may be corrupted by their erroneous operation. Whatever the issue is, you have nothing to worry about because this article covers all methods to tell you how to reset all iPhone models.
Part 1: Differences among Soft Reset, Hard Reset and Factory Reset
First of all, let’s go ahead and see what the different kinds of resetting methods you can perform on an iPhone and what differentiates them: There are three ways to reset an iPhone, namely: Soft Reset, Hard Reset, and Factory Reset.
They can be applied to different occasions and their operations also vary greatly. Here’s a clear comparison of all these methods.
|What is it
|When to use it
|What will happen
|A soft reset is the simplest way to power a device off and you should manually restart it again.
|Your iPhone will be restarted with minor problems solved.
|A hard reset can stop all background activities from running and restart your iPhone automatically.
|Your iPhone will be abruptly rebooted with bugs fixed.
|A factory reset will erase all data on your device and revert it to its original state.
|All data and settings stored on your iPhone will be erased.
Now that you know what these techniques are and what they do let's see how to use them in different situations effectively.
Part 2: How to Soft Reset iPhone
Soft reset iPhone is such a straightforward way to reboot your device that you can perform at home without any cost. If your iPhone suddenly runs slowly or is heating for no reason, try a soft reset.
However, not all iPhone models perform this soft reset operation in the same way. And if you're wondering how to soft reset your iPhone if you have more than one iPhone device, please check below.
Steps to soft reset iPhone 8 series and earlier (iPhone with the Home button):
Steps to soft reset iPhone X and later (iPhone with the Face ID feature):
Part 3: How to Hard Reset iPhone
If your iPhone is stuck on the restore screen or won't turn on past the Apple logo, hard resetting your iPhone may help to fix the problems, and is always recommended to fix these iOS-related bugs on your iPhone. Likewise, The ways as to how to hard reset an iPhone vary depending on the iPhone model you have. Here's a detailed list of ways you can follow to physically hard reset iPhone of all models:
Hard Reset iPhone 6/5/4 series and earlier (iPhone SE 1st generation included):
Hard Reset iPhone 7/7 Plus:
To hard reset iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time, and release both of them when you see the Apple logo.
Hard Reset iPhone 14/13/12/11/X/XS/XR/8 series(iPhone SE 2nd generation and later included):
Part 4: How to Hard Factory Reset iPhone (5 Ways)
The last and the most complicated resetting technique for you to know how to reset your iPhone is the factory reset. This kind of reset will erase all data on your device. One of the methods given below can repair and install the latest iOS version if there is something wrong with the system. If you’re looking for how to factory reset your iPhone, here are all the methods for all models:
4.1 Factory Reset iPhone without Password/iTunes/Alternative Device
If you forget the password of your no longer use iPhone or you want to erase all data without entering your device, then you should know how to completely factory reset your iPhone without a password. In this case, there is no other method that can be more easy-to-use than using iMyFone Fixppo.
Limited Time 10% OFF Coupon Code for iMyFone Fixppo: FARTT91
It can reset the iPhone to factory settings in a moment. What's more, it can repair your system to prevent present or future errors and update your iOS to the latest version. Follow the steps and learn how to hard factory reset your iPhone with iMyFone Fixppo.
I want to watch how to factory reset iPhone without a passcode and iTunes:
Now, you should know how to factory reset a locked iPhone, please keep reading with more details and thorough steps.
When the process is completed, your device should be fully reset without having a passcode. Now you can set it up as a new device.
4.2 Factory Reset iPhone in Settings
To hard reset your iPhone, you can also do that directly from settings. In this case, you should be able to remember your iPhone passcode and make a backup in advance.
Go to Settings>General>Transfer or Reset iPhone>Erase All Content and Settings. Enter the passcode to begin erasing all data on the iPhone.
4.3 Hard Reset iPhone via iTunes
As usual, you can learn how to hard reset your iPhone by using iTunes. However, there may be a breakdown during the process, if you want to try this method, please make sure to follow the steps correctly:
- 1: Connect your iPhone to the computer and open iTunes of the latest version.
- 2: When your device is detected, which won't be long, tap on the phone icon that appears on the screen, then tap the Summary option.
- 3: Then you can see two options on the screen, and you can choose whether to update or restore. In this case, you should choose Restore.
- 4: After that, keep moving on by tapping to confirm more information. Then iTunes will start to download the firmware, wait for it to complete, and begin the process.
4.4 Hard Reset iPhone in iCloud
If you still want to factory reset your locked iPhone without iTunes, try to do that by using iCloud. Though it's not hard to perform this operation, there is one requirement: the Find My iPhone feature must be enabled. If everything is ok with you, follow the steps below:
- 1: Connect your iPhone to the computer and go to iCloud.com.
- 2: Log in to your Apple ID and passcode, then click on the Find iPhone option.
- 3: Select All Devices' Info window on the top and choose the device you want to hard reset.
- 4: Tap Erase iPhone. For verification, it will ask for your Apple ID password. You can also answer security questions if you are using a trusted PC, or you can enter the verification code sent to your other Apple device.
4.5 Hard Factory Reset iPhone without Computer
Here is the last solution you can get help from if you don't have a PC to achieve this factory reset operation. You can make it happen through the Find My app on your alternative iPhone.
One thing you need to pay attention to is that: If your wait-to-be-reset iPhone is locked, which is often the case, please insert the SIM card into this alternative iPhone so that you can get the verification code needed later. Now, let's see how to perform a factory reset on an iPhone with the Find My app:
- 1: Open the Find My app on the other iPhone and click on Go To Settings to log in with the Apple ID and the password of your locked iPhone.
- 2: Once you're finished, click Next, enter the verification code sent to your other phone then wait for your iPhone to sign into iCloud.
- 3: Go back to the Find My app, click on your locked iPhone. Scroll down to find the Erase This Device option. Click continue, and then the Erase option. Enter your Apple ID password again and click erase.
- 4: After that, please wait patiently for it too hard factory reset your iPhone to its original state.
We hope this article can help you understand more about when and how to reset your iPhone by using different methods. If you are looking for a tool that can guide you to factory reset your iPhone without password/iTunes/alternative device, you must try iMyFone Fixppo. With Fixppo, you can reset your iPhone to factory settings without hassle, try it now!
Limited Time 10% OFF Coupon Code for iMyFone Fixppo: FARTT91
iMyFone Fixppo Key Features:
- Fixes iPhone problems like the iPhone stuck on the hello screen or the top of the iPhone screen not working.
- iOS issues can be dealt with easily with all your data remaining intact.
- You can reset your iPhone to factory settings if you want to sell it.
- It's beginner-friendly and requires no special skills.