You may need to move WhatsApp data from Android to iPhone if you are switching devices. But the process of moving WhatsApp data from one platform to another is never easy. In fact, it is never easy to move any type of data from Android to iOS. But there are several ways to do it and in this article we are going to be sharing with you the various ways to restore WhatsApp backup from Android device to iPhone.
Method 1. Restore WhatsApp Backup from Android to iPhone 11 Using History Backup
The easiest way to restore WhatsApp Backup from Android to iPhone is to use the history backup. Because WhatsApp doesn't provide any official method to transfer backup between different operation system, so it will not work if you are trying to directly restore Android backup to iPhone device. However, we are able to make it happen, only plus few more steps. Let's see how it work.
Phase 1. Restore WhatsApp Backup to Android Device
If the WhatsApp backup you want to restore to the iPhone is exactly on your Android now, you can just skip this step. But if the backup is on Google Drive, we need to restore the WhatsApp backup back to your Android device.
Step 1. Check WhatsApp Backup
First thing is to make sure you have made a backup. Go to
Menu > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup, you will see "Last Backup" time on the top of the screen. If the "Last Backup" time shows "Never", enter your Google Drive account and back up now in order to prevent data loss in the next stage. If you have a backup already, make sure the backup is the one you want to restore.
Step 2. Restore WhatsApp Backup to Android
If the backup you want to restore is in Google Drive, restore the backup to your Android phone. If the backup is now in your Android, jump to the next stage.
Reinstall WhatsApp on your Android device. Use the same phone number to set up WhatsApp. A popup should appear notifying you to restore the WhatsApp chats. Tap “Restore” and wait for the process to complete.
Phase 2. Transfer WhatsApp Backup from Android to iPhone 11 Directly
In this stage we will require a third-party tool called iTransor for WhatsApp. With this tool, you can easily transfer your WhatsApp data from Android to iPhone, without OS restrictions, which means, it also supports transfer from Android to Android, iPhone to iPhone or iPhone to Android.
It is kind of like a WhatsApp Manager, you can create a full backup of the WhatsApp chats on your device to the computer without any data overwritten. Each backup will be kept in safety and seperately. Later, if you are updating your phone to a new one, you can easily restore the backup to your new phone no matter it is an iPhone or an Android.
To use iTransor for WhatsApp to transfer WhatsApp backup from Android to your iPhone, follow these simple steps:
- Install iTransor for WhatsApp on your computer and then click on “Transfer WhatsApp between Devices”.
- Connect both your iPhone and Android devices to the computer, follow the instructions in the interface to make your devices detected. Make sure your Android to be the source device and your new iPhone 11 to be the destination one.
- Click on “Transfer” and the process of transferring will begin. Keep the devices connected to the computer until the process is complete. The required time is depended on your data size. If your data size is larger than 1GB, it may require more than half an hour. Go play games or surf the internet during the process.
- Once the restore is complete, you should be able to see the Android WhatsApp chats on your iPhone.
Method 2. Export WhatsApp Chat from Android to iPhone via Email
This method will allow you to read WhatsApp chats on your iPhone, but not in the WhatsApp. It only works when you just want to check some of the essential chats like the one with your beloved one or business chats because you have to export the chats one by one, and you will have to read it in a text file, with media files attached out of the file. If you are ok with all these, here’s how to do it:
- Open WhatsApp on the Android device and then go to Settings > Chat Settings > Chat History > Email Chat.
- Choose the WhatsApp chats you would like to email and select whether you want to send them with media or without attached media.
- Enter the email address you’re using on your iPhone and send the messages as an attachment.
Method 3. Restore WhatsApp Backup from Android to iPhone via Move to iOS?
You might have heard of this app - Move to iOS, it is developed by Apple to help users to move data from their Android devices when changing to iPhone. You can easily set up your new iPhone with old contacts, messages and etc. with this app. However, it doesn't support WhatsApp data transfer, so you might NOT be able to restore your WhatsApp backup from Android to new iPhone 11.
After all Move to iOS will also help when you need to restore other data from your Android device, so I will still introduce how to use Move to iOS to restore other data from Android to iPhone:
- Download the Move to iOS app on your Android device. You can find it on the Google Pay Store.
- Accept the terms and conditions to complete installation of the app.
- Now install the app on your iPhone and follow the on-screen prompts to set up the app until you see the Move Data from Android screen. The app on your iPhone will generate a code.
- Enter this code on your Android device and then select the files you would like to transfer to the iPhone and the process will begin immediately.
The solutions above can be useful when you want to restore WhatsApp messages from Android backup to iPhone. Select a solution that you trust will work correctly for you. As always we love to hear from you. If you have any questions or comments on this topic or any other, use the comments section below to let us know and we’ll do our best to help.