Google Drive is one of the most useful ways to back up all the data on your device mostly because it is very easy to use and you can set it to backup automatically. But sometimes, the WhatsApp Google Drive backup process can fail for one reason or another. If you are experiencing any problems with your WhatsApp Google Drive backup, this article will prove very useful to you. In it, we will take a look at some of these issues and offer the most reliable solutions.
1. Why WhatsApp Google Drive Backup Not Working
Before we get to the solutions, however, it is important to discuss some of the reasons why this problem can happen. Some of the most common reasons include the following;
- The problem could be with the network. For the backup process to be successful, your device needs to be connected to a stable Wi-Fi or cellular network.
- It is also possible that your Google Drive app is outdated.
- There could also be corrupted app data on WhatsApp or Google Drive apps.
- Some third-party apps could also be interfering with the process.
- Inadequate storage space will also hinder the backup process.
2. Solutions for WhatsApp Google Drive Backup Not Working
The following are just some of the most effective solutions when the Google Drive backup is not working;
Check Internet Connection
Google Drive backup relies on an internet connection to work. Without a stable connection, you will not be able to sync the data. The following are just some of the steps you can take to ensure a safe internet connection;
- Begin by connecting the device to a stable Wi-Fi connection. Wi-Fi works better than mobile data in many cases.
- If you can’t use Wi-Fi, check if the “Transfer files only over Wi-Fi” option is enabled. To check, open Google Drive and then tap on the More (three dots) > Settings and then toggle off “Transfer files only over Wi-Fi”.
Now restart the device and go back to the Google Drive to back up the data on the device to see if the process works.
Update Google Drive
An outdated Google Drive app may also be unable to back up your WhatsApp messages. You may therefore need to update the Google Drive app. Follow these simple steps to do it;
Step 1: Open the Play Store app on your device and then tap on the three dots at the top left.
Step 2: Tap “My Apps and Games”.
Step 3: You should see the list of apps on the device. If an update for the Google Drive is available, tap on the “Update” button and wait while the update is installed.
Restart Android Device
You might also get a WhatsApp backup to work normally by simply restarting the device. A restart is a very simple way to eliminate some minor bugs that could interfere with the proper function of the device. Therefore, close WhatsApp and restart the device by simply long-pressing the power button until the power options appear on the screen. Select “Restart” and wait for the device to restart.
Re-sign into WhatsApp Account
This problem can also occur when your device is unable to communicate with the WhatsApp servers. This problem is rare, but it can happen and when it does, logging out and then back in to your WhatsApp account will often solve the problem.
3. Better Way to Backup WhatsApp without Google Drive
If all the solutions above are unable to fix the problem, or you want to have an alternate backup of your device, we recommend using iTransor for WhatsApp. This specialized WhatsApp backup tool allows users to easily back up all WhatsApp messages to their computer and then very easily restore the backup when you need to.
The program has several features that make it the ideal WhatsApp data solution. Some of them include the following;
- It is 100% safe to use primarily because the backup is stored on your computer and not cloud services that can be prone to data leakage or problems like those described above.
- It serves numerous other purposes, allowing you to also restore the backup back on to the device or even transfer WhatsApp data between devices.
- The program doesn’t overwrite the older backups whenever you create a new one. This way you get to keep all your data.
- Since you are essentially backing up WhatsApp to your computer, you will not need to purchase additional storage spaces like you would with cloud services.
- You can directly access Google Drive, and do other operations such as downloading backup to the program if you have one, exporting backup to computer or restoring to device.
To use iTransor for WhatsApp to back up your WhatsApp messages, follow these very simple steps;
Step 1: Download and install iTransor for WhatsApp to your computer. When installation is complete, launch the program and then click on “Backup WhatsApp on Devices”.
Step 2: Connect the device to the computer using USB cables and enable USB debugging for Android or unlock the device for iPhone to allow the program to recognize the device.
Step 3: As soon as the program detects the device, click on “Back up” and the process will begin immediately. Keep the device connected to the computer until the process is complete.
One of the solutions above should be able to help you easily fix a WhatsApp Google Drive backup that is not working properly. Select a solution you trust will work for you and then follow the steps to implement it fully. As usual, let us know if you have any other WhatsApp related problems and we’ll do our best to help.