Did you just get a new iPad and are wondering if you can restore it from an iPhone backup? Indeed, they are different devices, but they do have basically the same operating system. So, how can you restore iPhone backup to iPad?
The answer is not so simple: Yes and no. In theory, you can indeed backup iPhone to iPad, but not all apps are going to be supported. This is simply because not all apps work on both devices. Basically any voice memos, photos, messages, message attachments, and any data from apps that aren't compatible with both platforms won't be restored. This means that your backup will be restored, just without this incompatible data.
1. How to Restore iPad from iPhone Backup?
Restoring your iOS device from a backup that you made on iTunes is easy enough. Just follow these steps:
(1) Plug your device into the computer that has your backup and open up iTunes.
(2) Click where you see your iPad listed in iTunes. Click it and you will then see the summary page.
(3) Click where it says Restore Backup…and choose the iPhone backup that you want, then click Restore. After that, wait while the iPhone backup is restored to your device.
Note that if you have a version of iTunes that is too old, you may be prompted to install a new version before you can restore your device.
2. How to Restore the Apps iTunes Cannot Support?
What if you want to restore all of your data to your new iPad, though? What if you want to restore even the data that iTunes doesn't support, such as your camera roll photos, messages, or voice memos? Well, there is a way to do this, but you're going to have to use a special application.
iMyFone D-Port Pro is very easy to use software that lets you do just about whatever you want with your iOS backups. For example, you can extract data from your backups or make partial restores, among many other things.
Steps to Restore the Apps iTunes Cannot Support
If you want, you can restore iPad from iPhone backup using D-Port Pro to restore the restore the apps you need. Here is how it works:
(1) Download and install D-Port Pro to your computer. Plug in your iPad to your USB drive.
(2) Open D-Port Pro and click where it says Restore Backup to Device, then pick the iPhone backup you want to restore from the list and click Next.
(3) After that, you will see D-Port Pro gives 2 options: to restore the whole backup, or restore partial data in it. Click Restore Partial Backup.
(4) Choose what type of data you want to restore and click Next. For example, you can choose Message which iTunes cannot restore to your iPad.
(5) Select the specific data that you want to restore and click Restore.
Additional Tip: Make Sure iPad Has Enough Space
Before restoring your iPhone backup to your iPad, check that your iPad has enough room in the storage. If it doesn't then you won't be able to restore the backup. If you need to check your backup to confirm the size, you can find instructions for this here: Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. If you want to clean your iPad storage, you can find some suggestions on 5 Tips to Fx iPad Storage Almost Full Problem.
You can indeed restore your iPhone backup to your iPad, but you have to keep in mind that you won't be able to restore all data. If you use iMyFone D-Port Pro, though, you can get around this limitation. iMyFone D-Port Pro also offers free trial version to user which allows users to back up their iPhone, or only partial data on iPhone free of charge. Download it and try now!