Are you wondering how to restore your iPhone from a previous backup? It's actually very easy to do. Check out these various methods and your iPhone will be restored from previous backup in no time:
Restore iPhone from Previous Backup Using iTunes
This is one of the official Apple methods, but it definitely has its fair share of limitations. iTunes will only keep a single backup, for one device—the last backup you made for that device. Any new backups you make will overwrite the old ones.
Either way, if you want to specifically use this method, this is how you do it:
(1) When you first turn on your new iPhone or you reboot your factory restored device, you should see the "Hello" screen. Tap the Home button when you see this screen.
(2) Read the on-screen instructions and follow them until you get to the Apps & Data screen. There, you should tap where it says iTunes Backup, then hit Next.
(3) Plug your device into the computer where you made your backup, then open iTunes. Click on your device icon.
(4) Click Restore Backup, then choose the backup that you want.
(5) Wait for iTunes to restore your device and don't unplug it until it's done.
Restore iPhone to Previous Backup Using iCloud
This is yet another one of Apple's official methods for backing up and restoring your device. When you restore from iCloud, you can choose from any of your previous backups on there. However, just as with iTunes, you will have to restore the whole backup to your iPhone, which will overwrite all the data on there. In other words, you can't be selective about what data you want to extract from the backup.
Here is how you use this method:
(1) Just as with the iTunes method, you should see the "Hello" screen on your phone. Tap the Home button.
(2) Follow the on-screen directions until you get to the Wi-Fi screen, then join a Wi-Fi network.
(3) Keep following the instructions on the screen until you get to the Apps & Data screen. Tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
(4) Log into your iCloud account, then choose your backup from a list.
(5) Wait while your backup is restored. Do not interrupt the connection.
Selectively Restore iPhone from Previous Backup(s)
You can also draw support from a 3rd-party tool to selectively restore data from different backups and iMyFone D-Port Pro is definitely what you should try. It is special software that allows you to make backups of your iPhone or other iOS device, and restore the backups according to your own will. It's a lot more flexible than iTunes or iCloud. Some of its more important features include:
- It can selectively restore data onto your iPhone, and not just the whole back up.
- When you selectively restore, it keeps the other data on your iPhone intact (and does not overwrite it).
- It supports iOS 11, as well as iPhone 8 and iPhone X.
- It can pull data from your iPhone or your backups and send them to your computer.
- You can restore your backups stored anywhere on your computer, even on an external drive.
How to Restore iPhone from Previous Backup Using iMyFone D-Port Pro
Here is how to restore a backup using iMyFone D-Port Pro:
(1) Download and install iMyFone D-Port Pro to your computer. After that, plug your device into your computer and launch D-Port Pro.
(2) Click where it says Restore Backup to Device in the sidebar.
(3) You will see all the iTunes backups on your computer and they are ready for you to choose. Choose a backup from the list and click Next.
Note: with the program you can also restore a previous iCloud backup by clicking the Download iCloud Backup option under the backup list.
(4) On the next screen, click Restore Full Backup.
(5) You will be prompted to connect your iPhone if you haven't already. Click Next when it is done connecting. Now wait until the restore process is done. Don't disconnect your phone until this is done.
You can also restore partial backups, certain file types, as well as your iCloud backup using similar steps. The interface for this software is very easy to use, and comes with an online guide: How to selectively restore a whole backup, partial packup, or certain types of data from backups.
There are many different ways showing how to restore iPhone from previous backup, but one of the best ways is to use iMyFone D-Port Pro. It is simply the most flexible method with the most options, and it also allows you to make partial restores and to extract specific data. If you want more control, then D-Port Pro is a good choice. Try its free trial version for now and enjoy the free benefits it offers!