We've all been there! You are looking at a certain highly important memo when all of a sudden, you hit the wrong key and the memo is gone. Or you find your child actively messing with your phone and when you finally get your hands on your device, the voice memo is gone. It can also occur that you just lose some voice memos after updating to iOS 12/11.
Don't worry! This actually happens to a lot of people and there is a way to remedy the situation. We can do nothing about your future clumsiness, the curiosity of your child or some kind of unknown reason but we can do something about getting your voice memo back. Keep reading to find out how you can get the accidentally deleted voice memo back.
- Way 1. Recover Deleted Voice Memo without Backup via iPhone Recovery Tool
- Way 2. Recover Accidentally Lost Voice Memo from iTunes Backup
- Way 3. Recover Accidentally Lost Voice Memo from iCloud Backup
- Way 4. How to Fully Restore from iTunes Backup with Voice Memo
- Way 5. How to Fully Restore from iCloud Backup with Voice Memo
- Reviews of The Above Methods
Can I Actually Recover Deleted Voice Memos from My iPhone?
Simply put, YES – you can recover your deleted voice memos from your iPhone. However, it really depends on the specific situation.
Let's get complicated for a second on where do deleted voice memos go: iOS devices use a database storage system known as SQLite so whenever you delete something from your iPhone, it isn't actually deleted and can still be recovered through this database system. In simpler terms, before you delete data it is stored as "Allocated" data and when you delete it, the storage slot is changed from "Allocated" to "Unallocated". What most people don't realize is that unallocated data can't be viewed although can be recovered. You just have to use the right piece of software for this job.
An important fact that you need to notice is that if you continue to use your iPhone after deleting voice memos, you are risking overwriting the data. This means that it can't be recovered, and your voice memos will be gone forever.
Overview of the Methods within this Guide
|via D-Back||via iTunes Restore||via iCloud Restore|
|Recover deleted voice memos without backup||Yes||No||No|
|Recover voice memos from iTunes backup||Preview before recovery||Restore without viewing||No|
|Recover voice memos from iCloud backup||Preview before recovery||No||Restore without viewing|
|Recovery Options||Selectively or fully||Fully restore only||Fully restore only|
1. Recover Deleted Voice Memo without Backup via Tool
One of the easiest ways to recover the missing voice memo on your iPhone especially if you don't have a backup is to make use of a data recovery program. The program we recommend is iMyFone D-Back iPhone data recovery simply because it is designed for that purpose. Some of the features that make iMyFone D-Back your best option are:
- It has been recommended by CNET, techradar, PCWorld, 9TO5Mac and other professional websites.
- D-Back applies advanced technology to search for the deleted voice memos in the SQLite database in the most thorough way, which makes it the best voice memos recovery tool with the highest recovery rate in the market.
- It supports all iOS versions including the latest iOS 12/11 and all iOS devices.
- You can use it to recover deleted memos or other types of data regardless of the circumstances leading up to data loss. You even get the chance to recover data from a damaged device.
- Supports 22 + file types of iOS content, such as photos, text messages, notes, voice memos, contacts, messages from WhatsApp, Kik, WeChat, etc.
- Four different recovery modes make finding and recovering data very easy: Smart Recovery, Recovery without backup, or from iTunes or iCloud backup.
- The program also comes with a preview function that allows you to make sure you are actually recovering the data you want to recover but also allows you to selectively recover data.
- Even with its numerous features, it remains easy to use and 100% safe to download and use. None of the data on your device will be at risk.
Here's a step by step guide to recover your accidentally missing voice memos without backup using this program.
Please note that you can choose to recover the memo directly from your device if you haven't backed up your device or you can choose to recover from an iTunes or iCloud backup without having to reset the entire device.
Step 1.Download iMyFone D-Back to your computer and then launch the program. From the primary window, click on "Recover from iOS Device" and then click on "Start".
Step 2.Connect the device to the computer using USB cables and once the program detects the iPhone, click on "Next".
Step 3.You will be required to choose the type of data you want to recover (in this case, choose "Voice Memo").
Step 4.When the scan is complete, preview the recovered data and select the missing voice memo. Click "Recover" and select a file path in the pop-up that appears.
- If you haven'y backed up the iPhone, then you need to stop using the device for the moment. This is because using the device may overwrite the missing voice memo, making it rather difficult to recover in the method we shall show you shortly.
- If your iPhone has been completely disabled or broken, you won't be able to recover the deleted voice memos directly from your device. Rather, you must use a third-party tool to view and extract the voice memos from an iCloud or iTunes backup through the following two options.
2. Recover Accidentally Lost Voice Memo from iTunes Backup
If you have the memo backed up in one of your iTunes backup files, follow this simple guide to recover it. This will not restore your iTunes backup whivh will cause current data loss.
Step 1.From the main window, select "Recover from iTunes Backup" and then click on "Start". Select the iTunes backup file that likely contains the missing voice memo and then click "Next".
Step 2.Select "Voice Memo" as the file type you would like to recover.
Step 3.Once the scanning process is complete (be patient, it could take a while), browse the recovered data to select the missing memo and then click "Recover".
3. Recover Accidentally Lost Voice Memo from iCloud Backup
If your voice memo is in an iCloud backup file, follow this simple guide to get it back without having to restore the device completely and without erasing all data and settings.
Step 1.From the main window, click on "Recover from iCloud Backup" and then click on "Start". The next step is to sign in to your iCloud account. Enter your login information to do so.
Step 2.The program will detect all of the iCloud backup files on that account. Click on the one that may contain the memo and then click "Next" to download the file.
Step 3.Select "Voice memo" since this is the file type we want to recover.
Step 4.Wait for the download and scanning process to be completed. Select the missing memo and then click "Recover".
Now download iMyFone D-Back data recovery to try to get back your accidentally deleted voice memo from iPhone (iOS 12/11/10/9/8/7 supported)!
Video Guide on iPhone Voice Memo Recovery with D-Back
4. How to Fully Restore from iTunes Backup with Voice Memo
Fortunately, if you've taken a backup of your iPhone which is stored on iTunes, you can restore the entire backup directly to your iPhone.
1. Launch iTunes on your computer and connect your iPhone.
2. After iTunes has detected your device, click on the device icon and then on "Summary".
3. From this menu, click on "Restore Backup…".
4. Select the backup that you want to have restored from the drop-down menu.
5. Click "Restore" and after a few minutes, the backup will be restored.
5. How to Fully Restore iCloud Backup with Voice Memo
If you aren't able to access a computer and you want to restore your iPhone's voice memos, you can do that using iCloud. One of the best things about this is that even your deleted voice memos will be restored.
1. Go to "Settings > General > Reset" and tap on "Erase All Content and Settings".
2. Enter your iPhone's passcode and your iPhone will now be wiped.
3. After the reset is complete, follow the setup steps and tap on "Restore from iCloud Backup".
4. Sign into your iCloud account and tap on the backup that you want to restore.
5. Your backup will now be restored, and your voice memos will be accessible again.
- There are a few things you should do the moment you discover that you have lost your voice memos. If you have set it up such that the data on your device is backed up automatically, you may want to check iTunes or iCloud backup files. If the voice memo is there, then you're lucky since all you have to do is restore the iPhone to the backup and your voice memos will be back.
- It's not possible for an original voice memo to be recovered after you have edited and trimmed it. This is because it hasn't been deleted but instead, it has been modified and the original one has been totally overwritten.
Reviews of The Above Methods
Are you unsure about which solution you should use to restore your voice memos on an iPhone? Below we've broken down the main points of each solution that you should keep in mind.
Fully Restoring from iCloud/iTunes Backup
1. Both of these platforms are free to use.
2. Easily restore voice memos to your iPhone.
3. You have to have an Apple/iCloud account set up, as well as an available backup.
4. As soon as the backup is restored, any existing data will be permanently erased from your iPhone.
Recovering with iMyFone D-Back
1. Selectively recover the voice memos you need.
2. Allow you to view your iTunes and iCloud backup.
3. Avoid data overwriting on iOS devices by saving the recovered data on your computer.
4. While not free, there is a free version of it available that gives you access to preview the recoverable data before purchase.
We understand how frustrating it can be to lose valuable data and we hope that by reading this article, you've learned how to retrieve your voice memos from an iPhone without too much stress. Most users also highly recommend that you try using the free version of iMyFone D-Back so that you can experience the amazing features that it has to offer. Have any questions regarding the solutions that we detailed today? Let us know by getting in touch!