Have you lost some of your WhatsApp messages for mistaken operations or during updating your iOS or WhatsApp version? You may have backed up your WhatsApp messages regularly and want to find a way to restore the WhatsApp messages safely from the previous backup to your iPhone.
In this article, we are going to look at 2 different ways you can restore whatsapp messages to iPhone and show you a much better way to get your messages back. Those ways work even you are using the latest iOS such as iOS 13.3 or iOS 12 beta on your iPhone.
Method 1. Restore WhatsApp Backup on iPhone without Uninstalling WhatsApp
iTransor for WhatsApp (iOS 13.3/iPhone 11 supported) is a professional WhatsApp backup, restore and transfer tool that we developed to help when users try to restore or transfer WhatsApp messages after switching to a new device. It supports both WhatsApp Messenger and WhatsApp Business.
Below are the special points of this WhatsApp backup, restore and transfer program:
- Free WhatsApp backup for iPhone/Android: Back up only your Android or iPhone WhatsApp data for free onto computer and keep every backup individually.
- Free for reading WhatsApp backup: Read your WhatsApp backup chats just like they are on your phone.
- Restore WhatsApp messages without uninstalling: Restore the WhatsApp messages later without uninstalling the WhatsApp application. The most interesting part is, you can use this tool to restore previous backup of your iPhone to another iPhone or even Android, no need to worry about phone lost or switching.
- Export WhatsApp chats to computer: You can export your WhatsApp messages, photos, videos, audios, and etc individually, or together and read them as a whole chat.
- Directly transfer WhatsApp between iPhone and Android: Transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone, iPhone to Android, iPhone to iPhone, Android to Android without OS restrictions.
- Trustworthy and reliable: iTransor for WhatsApp is recognized by many reputable reviwe sites such as Make Use Of, Macworld, Cult of Mac and etc.
1.1 Backup Whatsapp on iPhone with iTransor for WhatsApp (FREE)
You should know that do a regular backup is the best way to prevent your WhatsApp data lost. So at the begining of each part we will show you how to do the backup first. Before you start, please download and launch the program on your computer to back up WhatsApp messages of iPhone.
Step 1 Go to Back Up WhatsApp on Devices and connect your device to computer. Click the Back Up button to start the backup process.
Step 2 Once the process is finished, you can restore your device from the WhatsApp backup by following the steps below.
1.2 Restore WhatsApp Chat on iPhone with iTransor for WhatsApp
Step 1 Go to Restore WhatsApp to Devices mode and choose a backup which contains the WhatsApp data you need. iTransor for WhatsApp supports to restore WhatsApp backup created only by this program.
Step 2 On the next screen, connect your Android or iOS device to computer. Now you can tap on Restore.
Step 3 It will take a few minutes to restore the WhatsApp data to your iPhone.
Method 2. Restore WhatsApp Messages on iPhone from iCloud
iCloud is actually the official method to backup and restore WhatsApp. However, sometimes it can stuck for a long time when backing up or restoring from iCloud. In this part, we will not only tell how to backup and restore WhatsApp Messages from iCloud, but also help you to troubleshoot problems meet during the restore process.
This method requires you to uninstall your WhatsApp and use the same phone number when restoring.
2.1 Backup Whatsapp Messages via iCloud
Firstly, we will show you how to back up WhatsApp messages to iCloud so you can restore it back to your iPhone later.
Step 1 Open the WhatsApp app on your iPhone.
Step 2 Go to Settings > Chat Settings > Chat Backup.
Step 3 Tap on the "back up now" option to back up your WhatsApp messages to iCloud.
- Please make sure that you have signed in with the Apple ID that you use to access iCloud.
- For iOS 8 or later, please make sure iCloud Drive under the iCloud settings on your iPhone is turned on.
- For iOS 7, please go to Settings > iCloud > Documents & Data on your iPhone, then turn on Documents & Data.
- Please make sure that you have enough free space on iCloud.
2.2 Restore Whatsapp Messages from iCloud
Step 1 Make sure that you have available WhatsApp backup. To verify it, go to WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup.
Step 2 Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp from the App Store.
Step 3 Sign in to the app using the same phone number you used in backing up your data.
Step 4 After you have signed in, the app asks you to restore your chat history from iCloud. Simply hit on Restore Chat History to restore your WhatsApp messages back to iPhone.
Troubleshooting - Restoring WhatsApp Messages on iPhone from iCloud Problems
Should you run into any problems when restoring the WhatsApp messages, here are a few things to consider.
- Justify that you signed into iCloud in iPhone Settings.
- Confirm that you are trying to retrieve data from the same phone number and iCloud account that you used when creating your backup.
- Prove that your iPhone has enough space to retrieve the backup. To check the available space get to iPhone Settings, hit on General then About.
- Justify that your iCloud Drive is turned on through iPhone Settings then iCloud then iCloud Drive. When using iOS 7 or before, Documents and Data is in place of iCloud Drive.
- If you used iCloud Drive to create your backup, you won't be able to retrieve the backup on any device not on iOS 8 or later.
- If you have used your Apple ID to turn on iCloud Drive for any device, you will not retrieve data on your iPhone. You will only if it is on iOS or later.
- Try restoring from a different network. Trying to restore in the geographical location from which you use most times works best with iCloud.
Method 3: Restore Only WhatsApp Messages on iPhone from iTunes Backup & Merge
iTunes is another way to backup your WhatsApp data. The only problem will be iTunes can only backup and restore a whole iPhone data.Today we are going to introduce another tool that allows to resotre part of the iTunes backup. As usual, let's see how to backup using iTunes first.
3.1 Backup Whatsapp Messages via iTunes
Step 1 Open iTunes and connect the iPhone to your computer.
Step 2 When your iPhone dected by iTunes, click on the Summary tab on the left panel.
Step 3 Under the Backups section, choose This Computer to backup your iPhone, remember to untick the Encrypt iPhone backup option.
Step 4 Click Back Up Now button on the right, and iTunes will backup your iPhone to your computer. After it is done, the latest backup time will update automatically.
3.2 Restore Whatsapp Backup from iTunes with iTransor
iTransor allows you to selectively restore backup to iPhone from iTunes/iCloud. You can preview your iPhone data, restore your backup to iPhone, or export to your computer. Moreover, if you already have new chats in your iPhone, iTransor can also help you to merge the WhatsApp chats from the backup with your existing chats rather than directly replace them.
To restore WhatsApp backup from iTunes to your iPhone:
Step 1 Install and launch iTransor to your computer. Choose Restore Backup to Device mode on the left panel, you will see a list of all your backups on your computer including the iTunes backups. Choose the iTunes backup with the WhatsApp data you hope to restore, then click next.
Step 2 From the screen, tap on Restore Partial Backup.
Step 3 On the next screen, you can choose one or some of the data types to restore, including contacts, messages, WhatsApp and We chat data. In this case, choose WhatsApp. Choose to preview or directly restore the data according to your need. If you choose Preview & Restore, you can read the WhatsApp chats in your iTunes backup, to see if you have chosen the right one.
Step 4 Next you need to choose whether to merge or replace the WhatsApp data existed in your iPhone. Click Restore, and you will see the chats in your WhatsApp later.