Did you know that you could access and read the iPhone SMS backup file on your PC or Mac? In this article we are going to show you how you can access the iPhone SMS backup file on Windows or Mac OS X and how you can view messages from iPhone directly using a 3rd-party tool. This file contains all iPhone messages including text messages, MMS, SMS and iMessages.
1 Access and View iPhone SMS Text Message Backup Files
The following is a simple step by step instruction to help you access the iPhone messages backup file on your Mac or PC. Keep in mind that the process is the same for both Windows and Mac.
1) Begin by locating the backup file containing the texts and iMessages. The file is often located at ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/. Open that directory and then look for the following filename; 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28. It will sometimes have a. mddata or. mdbackup extension.
For Windows the file location would be C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup.
2) Once you have located the file, copy it to a location you will easily remember such as the desktop.
3) Because this file is an SQLite database, you will need to download an application that can help you open and read this type of file.
4) Once you have downloaded the database management app, launch the program and then open the SMS backup file and you will see all your text messages.
2 View iPhone Messages on PC or Mac using iPhone Data Extractor
The other way to view your iPhone messages on PC or Mac is to uses iMyfone D-Back. this data recovery program allows you to basically transfer the messages from your iPhone to your computer in a few simple steps. The following are just some of the features that make iMyFone D-Back or iMyFone D-Back for Mac the best tool for the job.
- It is ideal for the identification of over 22 different types of data from your device such as text messages, MMS, iMessages, contacts, videos, voice memos and more.
- It also can be used to recover data from your iPhone regardless of how the data was lost in the first place.
- It can be used to retrieve data from an iTunes or iCloud backup file.
- It comes with a preview function that allows you to extract or retrieve some data over others.
Here’s how to use iMyfone D-Back to view iPhone messages on your PC or Mac.
Step 1: Run iMyfone D-Back and Choose Message
Install iMyfone D-Back to your PC or Mac and then launch it. From the main window, select “Recover from iOS device” and then click “Start” to begin. In the next window, select messages as the type of data you want to retrieve and then click “Next.”
Step 2: Connect Your iPhone to the Computer
Connect the iPhone to the computer using USB cables and once the program recognizes the device, click on “Scan” to begin the scanning process.
Step 3: Select the Messages You Want to Save
Step 3: Once the scanning process is complete, select the messages you would like to read or save and then click on “Recover” to read them on your Mac or PC.