“I got a notification on my iPhone to update a few Apps. When I went to the App Store to do so, there was an error and the download stopped abruptly. I tried again after a few minutes only to find out that my iPhone apps were not updating. My iPhone is running iOS 11. What should I do?”
Updating Apps is always advisable, but if you are among the iPhone users who have faced the similar problem that iPhone Apps will not update, some of them meet this problem after updating their iPhone to iOS 11. This article will definitely help you fix the issue. It is rather a strange problem but can be overcome with simple tips and tricks. Read on to find out how.
7 Ways to Fix iPhone Apps Won't Update (iOS 11 Supported)
- Part 1. Check Both Wi-Fi & Cellular Data
- Part 2. Make Sure Network Is Connected
- Part 3. Disable Airplane Mode to Fix iPhone Apps Not Updating
- Part 4. Remove and Reinstall the Apps
- Part 5. Make Sure the Storage Space Is Enough
- Part 6. Close App Store and Launch It Again
- Part 7. System Issue: Fix iPhone Apps Won't Update without Data Loss
1 Check Both Wi-Fi & Cellular Data
Since Apps and their updates can be downloaded over Wi-Fi and Cellular Data, both, it is important for you to check one of the two is active on your iPhone. All you need to do is go to “Settings”, tap on “Wi-Fi” and turn on the switch next to it. Now select a network to connect to it. In order to connect to Cellular Data services, make sure you have an active data plan. Now in “Settings” go to “Cellular Data” and turn it on.
While using a Wi-Fi network, if you face a problem that iPhone Apps won't update, you have 2 more tips to check if the Wi-Fi works well, which were given below:
1.Reset network settings
Resetting network settings wipe off all network settings saved previously on the iPhone and you will have to connect to a Wi-Fi network all over again. To do so, visit ”Settings” > “General” > “Reset”.
2. Restart your router
Sometimes due to an unstable connection, Apps do not download and update smoothly. Just switch off your Wi-Fi router for a few minutes, then turn it back on and try downloading the update again.
Following these steps solves the problem of iPhone Apps not updating if it is because of your internet connection.
2 Make Sure Network Is Connected
First and foremost, you need to be very sure that your iPhone is connected to the internet network, or the iPhone apps won't update. A Wi-Fi network is preferred over Cellular data plan because the updates can be downloaded and installed quickly over Wi-Fi. In case a Wi-Fi network is not available, you can turn on the “Cellular Data” in “Settings” on your iPhone. Now tap on “iTunes & App Store” in “Settings” and turn on the “Use Cellular Data” switch and then try to download the update again.
3 Disable Airplane Mode
Another simple way to ensure that your Apps update without a glitch is to turn on the Airplane Mode. Keep iron for fifteen to twenty seconds and then turn it back off. wait for your phone regain Cellular data or Wi-Fi connection. Now check if the iPhone app can download or not.
If the iPhone Apps are still not updating, DO NOT panic. There are few more things you can try.
4 Remove and Reinstall the Apps
This method is another tip you can try when your iPhone apps won't update. What is needed to do is to delete the Apps which can’t be updated. Then go to App Store and reinstall the latest version of the same App. Here are the steps:
Press on the icon of the apps until the X in the top-left corner shakes. Then confirm by tapping the X.
5 Make Sure the Storage Space Is Enough
Storage problems are very common with 16GB iPhone users. This is also a main cause for iPhone won't update problem. For the people who have just updated iOS to the latest one (iOS 11 for now), the remain storage will be less.The memory runs out before you know it and there is no room for you download new or update existing Apps. You can create new space though by deleting old and redundant Apps from the iPhone which consume considerable amount of space or deleting iMessage data, photos and videos. Just go to “Settings” > “General” > “Storage and iCloud Usage” , then you can check the Storage available.
6 Close App Store and Launch It Again
This is simple trick that you can try when your iPhone apps won't update. Here’s what you need to do. Close the App store and then by double clicking on the Home Button, close all Apps. Now start App Store again and try to update the desired App.
7 System Issue: Fix iPhone Apps Won't Update without Data Loss
The methods listed above can solve the iPhone Apps not updating problem 99% of the times. But in case of a system issue, it is advisable to use a third-party tool if all the above methods do not work.
iMyFone iOS System Recovery (compatible with iOS 11) is one such iOS system recovery software that totally repairs all common iOS system issues without any data loss. Not only does it solve the iPhone Apps won't update problem but also offers an array of other efficient features.
iMyFone iOS System Recovery (iOS 11 Supported)
- It fixes all kinds of errors on iOS devices and repairs iPhone/iPad/iPod touch without any data loss. For example, it fixes iPhone stuck in DFU mode, iPhone stuck in recovery mode, iPhone stuck on Apple logo, iPhone freezes and doesn't respond, iPhone won’t turn on, iPhone won’t slide to unlock, etc.
- It has been designed to prevent any alteration in the existing data on the iOS device, so no data loss.
- It is completely safe and easy to use and does not intrude your privacy.
How to Use the Tool to Fix iPhone Apps Won't Update Problem
1. Launch the iMyFone iOS System Recovery software and click on “Standard Mode” which can fix iPhone app won't update problem without data loss.
2. In this step, use a USB cable to connect your device to the PC. Then follow the instructions to put your device into DFU mode or Recovery mode.
3. The program will detect the model of your device. You will be prompted to download firmware package for your device and all you need to do is click “download”.
4. Now, once you download the firmware, click "Start to Fix" and then iMyFone iOS System Recovery will start its task to make your iPhone work normally.
It is extremely easy to fix iPhone app won't update problem using iMyFone iOS System Recovery (compatible with iOS 11), isn't it?
Updating Apps to their latest version equips them with more powerful features and also fixes the bug problem, so we are excited to do that. However, sometimes iPhone apps won't update for various reasons. This problem is very annoying. We hope this article was helpful in providing ways and means for you to solve the iPhone Apps not updating problem.