WhatsApp messages are highly important for most of us. They carry the memories of our loved ones and, in some cases, important details of our business transactions. Therefore, it is imperative that, if we switch devices, we know the method of transferring our WhatsApp messages from one device to another. Google Drive backup is normally the go to option when transferring messages between Android devices. But are there other ways we can use to transfer WhatsApp from Android to Android without Google Drive?
- Cons of Using Google Drive for Transferring WhatsApp Messages
- 3 Ways to Transfer WhatsApp Messages between Android Devices without Google Drive
- Transfer All WhatsApp Chats through iTransor for WhatsApp
- Transfer WhatsApp Messages through File Manager/SD Card
- Transfer WhatsApp Messages through Email
Cons of Using Google Drive for Transferring WhatsApp Messages
The reasons why we avoid using Google Drive for transferring WhatsApp messages between Android devices stem from a set of certain problems.
- Firstly, with the Google Drive backup, we do not have the flexibility to make more than one backup. Once you need to make another WhatsApp backup for your new Android phone, the previous backup will be overwritten, it is impossible to keep both A and B backup on Google Drive at the same time.
- Secondly, Google Drive provides no other choices but backup and restore, we can't read or export the WhatsApp backup.
- Thirdly, a lot of people find the Google ecosystem to be intrusive to their privacy. The information is not safe with Google and can be potentially misused.
So, to minimize the involvement of Google, such individuals disable the option of Google Drive creating backups of their WhatsApp messages.
3 Ways to Transfer WhatsApp Messages between Android Devices without Google Drive
Besides of Google Drive, there are still multiple ways to transfer your WhatsApp Messages from Android to Android. Below we will introduce three of them, you can choose the one that suits your needs.
Method 1. Transfer All WhatsApp Chats through iTransor for WhatsApp
If all these steps are too much of a hassle for you, simply use iTransor for WhatsApp which, among other things, can easily transfer your WhatsApp data from one Android device to another. With this tool, you can not only transfer, but also backup, restore, export WhatsApp data. It supports both Android and iOS devices. Although iTransor for WhatsApp is a third-party tool, your WhatsApp data will be kept only to your computer, it doesn't collect any of your personal data.
The steps are:
- Connect both the source and destination phone to the computer.
- Launch iTransor for WhatsApp and select Transfer WhatsApp between devices.
- Make sure that source and destination are correctly selected.
- Click on transfer to initiate the process.
- After a while you would see the message, WhatsApp Transfer Successful.
This tool has other functions such as making multiple backups, reading and exporting the WhatsApp chats. Check their guide to find out more if you are interested.
Method 2. Transfer WhatsApp Messages through File Manager/ SD Card
One approach is to transfer the local backup from the old phone to your computer using a file manager or SD card. This file can subsequently be transferred to the new phone. There are 2 ways this can be done. Either you can make use of the most recent local backup file made by your phone or you can use an older backup file that exists on the phone’s internal storage or SD card. The automatic backup contains data of the last 7 days only so this is a limitation of this process. The steps for the process are as follows:
- Download file manager app on the phone.
- Use it to locate the local backup. Normally it is located in sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases or internal storage/WhatsApp/Databases.
- Once located, you can transfer it to the computer and then to your new phone.
- If you wish to use an older backup, there is an additional step before the transfer.
- The older file needs to be renamed from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12.
- Once done, simply follow the process as described earlier.
Method 3. Transfer WhatsApp Messages through Email
You can also transfer messages via email using the WhatsApp export chat option. This process has both its benefit and drawbacks. It offers you the flexibility to individually select chats and transfer them to the new phone via email.
There are, however, certain limitations of this process. First, there is a limit of 40,000 messages per chat if media is not included and the limit drops to 10,000 messages after inclusion of media. Then you have the fact that the messages would be transferred to the new phone in the form of txt. file for the messages and .zip file for the media so you cannot view them as you would do so on your old phone. The steps are as follows:
- Select the target group or individual chat.
- Tap the 3 dots on the top right corner and follow More > Export Chat.
- Select whether you would like the transfer to be with or without media.
- The messages and, if selected, the media would be attached to the email.
- Simply email it to any email address of your choice and download the attachments on the new phone.
Extra Tip: Switching to a New Number along with a New Phone
Additionally, if along with switching to another Android device, you have changed your number as well, there’s one additional step you need to perform before restoring your messages on the new device. That step would be to use WhatsApp’s change number feature. This would link your WhatsApp account information to the new number. The steps for the process are as follows:
- On your old phone, launch WhatsApp.
- Tap on the 3 dots in the top right corner.
- Select Settings and then Account.
- There you would see the option for Change number.
- Enter your new number.
- Complete the process by entering the verification code you would receive on the new phone.
- After this, manually transfer your WhatsApp backup to the new phone using one of the methods discussed earlier.
- Install WhatsApp on the new phone and verify the number once again.
- Finally restore the backup to complete the process.