WhatsApp allows you to automatically back up chats daily or a periodically to iCloud/Google Drive. However, the old backup will be re-formatted or overwritten after the new backup being created, which is why there is another option to manually export your data via email or other apps.
This method of exporting WhatsApp chats via email also has its limitations:
- The most important one is, you need to choose and export these chats ONE BY ONE, which means that if there are 200 chats to backup, you have to do the same thing over and over again for 200 times!!!
- It limits your messages. With media, you can only send about 10000 of your latest messages. And without media that amount rises up to 40000 messages. But this still very less if you are planning to backup every WhatsApp chat at one shot.
So here comes the topic of today, is there any easy way to export all WhatsApp chats at once? In this article, we will introduce seperately for iPhone and Android users about this issue. Feel free to jump to the method you are interested in through the table below.
Part 1. Export All WhatsApp Chats on iPhone at Once
We all know that manually backing up WhatsApp chats through email for hundreds of times will be really harsh. That is why iMyFone created iTransor, a no-limit data backup, export and transfer tool for your iPhone, iPad or iPad touch devices, which can export all WhatsApp chats on your device at once to .html, .xls or .csv files. What's more, if you choose the .html format to export, you will be seeing the WhatsApp messages, photos and videos lying in order just as what they like on your iPhone:
Here’s a quick tutorial guide of how to export all WhatsApp chats at once on the iPhone:
- First, download the iTransor app and launch on your PC.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer, select Export from Device & Backup at the left panel and then select Export From Device.
- Now you will be able to choose the type of data that you want to export. Tick WhatsApp on the Third-party IM App section.
- Just press the Export and all your WhatsApp data will be stored on your PC.
- You are also able to export WhatsApp from your iTunes/iCloud backup. Just choose Export from Backup at the beginning then tick the type of data you want to export, click "Next". Now you will be able to preview all messages as well as images and videos through the iTransor program. Choose the kind of file format you would like to export to and save to your computer.
- As for now, the tool can only support iOS devices, but we are now working on iTransor for Android, which supposed to be coming soon. In order to solve this problem, we have found an application that works well for Android devices.
Part 2. Export All WhatsApp Chats on Android Devices at Once
Now that you are well acquainted with how to export all WhatsApp chats on iPhone, how about the techniques to export all your WhatsApp data through Android? Here we will introduce another tool to help you achieve that - WhatsApp Viewer.
WhatsApp Viewer is created to display the mgstore.db file, which is the backup format of WhatsApp for Android devices. As the tool supports all major WhatsApp encryption version from crypt5, crypt7, crypt8 and crypt12, this feature enables it to open WhatsApp chat backups on your computer. You are allowed to search messages, scroll older messages that too in a really convenient way. It also support chat exports to .txt, .html and .json formats at once. To perform this app:
- First of all, you need to get your key and database file from the phone. To learn more about acquiring the key and database, read this forum thread of xda-developers.
- Open the WhatsApp Viewer and go to File> Open> Select File.
- Select the WhatsApp msgstore.db file you would like to read and export and then leave the account name empty.
- After this you can see all your chat messages and also be able to export all chat into.txt and .html files.
Part 3. Comparison of the Different Methods to Export WhatsApp
You can still read the table below to compare the methods we mention about WhatsApp chats exporting. If you don't know how to export WhatsApp chat via email, check this article.
|via Email||via iTransor||via WhatsApp Viewer|
|For Android||iMyFone Developers Are Working on This Feature|
|How WhatsApp Messages are Exported||Messages and media files are separately exported||Messages and media files are shown as what they are on the phone||Messages and media files are separately exported|
|How to Export||Manually export chats one by one||Within a Few Clicks, all chats will be exported at once.||You have to export key and database of your WhatsApp, require a lot of manual work and technical knowledges|