You may find your iPhone has a large photo library but you cannot find the trash icon to delete them. Of course, it's irritating because Apple never reminded you those photos cannot be deleted from iPhone directly. Before deleting photo library, I suppose you may want to know what the photo library is.
What's Photo Library on iPhone
Photos in Photo Library are synced from iTunes on computer. On iPhone, you only have the right to view them but you cannot edit them. That's why there is no trash icon for photo library. Lots of users also called photo library, the synced photos. Apple's official way to remove photo library is unsync the photos on iTunes.
How to Delete Photo Library from iPhone Using iTunes
Step 1: Connect your iPhone to the computer where your iPhone was synced photos via USB cable.
Step 2: Then, head into iTunes. At the upper left corner, select the device icon.
Step 3: Tap on "Photos" from the left sidebar.
Step 4: The "Sync Photos" will be checked by default. You can uncheck "Sync Photos" and hit "Apply" to delete the whole photo library from iPhone.
Step 5: If you just want to delete some specific photos from photo library, you can uncheck the photos you want to delete and hit ‘Apply’ to delete.
If you find "Sync Photos" is not checked when you go there, that means this is not the iTunes you synced photos before, or the original iTunes library is lost. In other words, this way is not available for you now.
How to Delete Photo Library from iPhone If iTunes is Not Available
If you found the original iTunes library is no longer accessible for you, don't you worry. Here are still 2 ways:
- Use iPhone "Erase All Contents and Settings" to reset it to factory settings. Of course, it will delete photo library on iPhone. But you will lose everything.
- Use iTunes alternative - iMyFone iPhone Photo Eraser for Win/Mac, which you can preview and select photos from iPhone photo library. iMyFone iPhone Photo Eraser has powerful feature to permanently delete photos from iPhone and make recovery impossible. To avoid you mistakenly delete photos, you have the chance to view photos in advance.
iMyFone Options to Delete Photo Library
- Backup & Delete: You can choose to transfer photo library to computer for backup and delete them from iPhone.
- Permanently Delete You can preview and permanently delete photo library from iPhone/iPad, 100% unrecoverable.
- You can also find out the previously deleted photos which are still under the risk of recvoery and completely make them gone. No trace of recovery will be left.
All It Takes Are 4 Simple Steps:
Step 1. Connect your device to computer using the USB cable launch iMyFone Umate Pro.
Step 2. Choose Erase Private Data tab and let it scan your iPhone.
Step 3. When it finishes, you can preview and select photos to erase.
4. Click Erase Now button and type "delete" into the box to confirm and continue.
If you want to backup and delete photo library, you can go to "Photos" function in "1-Click Free Up Space" mode.
Besides, photos that iMyFone Eraser support include photos taken by Camera, photos saved from apps and photos synced from iTunes. It won't work for iCloud photos as they are stored in iCloud service.
Magical Features of iMyFone iPhone Photo Eraser
However, this tool also offers various other features besides showing you how to delete photo library from iPhone and similar Apple products. It also provides you with easy access to brilliantly useful features.
- Photo Management
- You can thoroughly clean all invisible photo cache from iPhone/iPad once. Also, other junk files, like iTunes cache, corrupted files, crash logs and more will be cleaned as well.
- You can make photo backup on computer and losslessly compress your iPhone photo library to save 75% photo storage. No visible quality of photos will be damaged.
- Or you can export photo library to computer. You can also choose delete photos after export.
- Third-party Apps Eraser
- You can permanently delete WeChat and WhatsApp messages and attachments. It supports to find out data of multiple WeChat accounts.
- You can find out previously deleted WeChat data and completley delete them.
- You can fully destroy private fragments left by 3rd-party apps, like WhatsApp, WeChat, Snapchat, Viber, Kik, Line, etc.
- Media Management: Videos, movies, audio books, etc. can be backed up to computer and deleted from iPhone in bulk.
- iOS Data Eraser: You can selectively select private data or deleted files to permanently delete, like messages, call log, contacts, etc.