Are you suffering from the "white screen of death" problem with your iPad? If yes, then you are at the right place now. This problem can be caused by various reasons. It is quite common for iPad to get stuck at the white screen due to the malfunction of a hardware component, unexpected dropping, modifications to the operating system, or errors of the iOS (even it is iOS 12, iPad white screen could also happen). You can now solve the issue with the help of the 5 solutions explained below.
1. Hard Reset Your iPad
Press the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button together for at least ten seconds or until you see the Apple Logo appear. Your iPad will restart and you can check if it functions normally again.
This works for such problems with iPhone as well. There are some differences for different iOS devices. For the devices before iPhone 7, the steps are the same as above. For iPhone 7, there is no home button, so press and hold Volume Down instead.
For iPhone 8/8 Plus and iPhone X/XS,
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Power button until you see the Apple logo.
2. Pressing Three Buttons Together
Try to press home button,Volume Up button, and power button all together. Hold them for a few seconds or until you see the Apple logo appear on the screen. When the logo appears, your iPad will reboot automatically and may functions normally then.
3. Use a Tool to Fix iPad White Screen without Data Loss
When iPad gets stuck on white screen, most of us want to save the data before fixing. If the above solutions don't fix the problem, you can try a third-party tool iMyFone D-Back iOS System Fix Tool to get iPad out of white screen of death. The software application is efficient in fixing the white screen problem. The following are the primary features that make it unique and outstanding in data recovery category and recognized by Cult of Mac, and Makeuseof.
iMyFone D-Back (iOS 12 Supported)
- You can fix iOS of your iPhone/iPad/ iPod touch without data loss, even for the devices running iOS 12;
- 2 iOS system repair modes are provideded: standard repair and advanced mode;
- It can fix iTunes errors such as error 2, error 3503, iPhone/iPad frozen issues, iPhone/iPad wifi problem and other iOS problems;
- It also supports to recover over 22+ file formats which makes it easy for you to recover data from your iPad;
How to Fix Your iPad's iOS using iMyFone D-Back
Step 1. Choose "Fix iOS System" Option
Start iMyFone D-Back application. From the main interface, click "Fix iOS System" and choose a mode from the 3 option displayed.
Connect your iPad. Set your device into recovery mode or DFU mode according to the instruction on screen so that the program can detect the device.
Step 2.Download New Firmware
You have to download the new firmware to fix your iPad. The program will detect the device automatically and allows you to download the latest version suitable for it. All you have to do is press the "Download" button.
Wait until the program finishes downloading the firmware.
Step 3. Fix iPad White Screen
iMyFone D-Back will begin verifying the firmware once you click "Start to Fix".
Once the fixing process is complete, your iPad will restart and achieves the state of normalcy.
- Your iPad white screen problem will be fixed without data loss.
- If you were using a jailbroken iPad, the process would restore it back to the default iOS.
- The above tips also apply to the other iOS devices such as iPhone (all models) and iPod touch.
4. Restore iPad Using Recovery Mode (Data Loss)
Restoring iPad is a normal method to fix iOS problems such as white screen of death. Since your iPad screen goes white and won't be recognized by iTunes as normal, you need set your iPad in recovery mode and then restore your iPad with iTunes. Here are the steps:
Step 1: Plug your iPad into the computer and start iTunes.
Step 2: Hold the sleep/wake button and home button for approximately ten seconds.
Step 3: Free the sleep/wake button, but continue to hold the home button and don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding it until you see the "connect to iTunes" screen.
Step 4: When your iPad get detected by iTunes, choose Restore iPad. iTunes will try to install the latest iOS on your iPad by overwriting all the settings and contents on your iPad.
Step 5: After the Restore completes, set up your iPad. You can also selectively restore a previous backup to your iPad.
5. Putting iPad into DFU Mode & Restore via iTunes (Data Loss)
DFU or Device Firmware Update mode is also a method that you can choose to fix white screen of death issue. This method fix the iOS errors by completely reinstall iOS on your iPad, so all the content on your iPad will be erased. Here are the steps on how to perform a DFU restore on a iPad stuck on white screen of death.
- Step 1: Open iTunes. Plug iPad to your computer.
- Step 2: Switch off the iPad by holding the power switch.
- Step 3: Press the home button and the power button for ten seconds. If you see the Apple logo, then you need to restart the process again.
- Step 4: While holding the home button, let go the power button. If you see "Plug into iTunes" message, you need to restart the process again.
- Step 5: If the iPad screen stays black, then the device entered successfully into the DFU mode.
- Step 6: iTunes will display a message stating that it detected iPad in recovery mode and you will be able to choose "Restore iPad".