Did your iPhone crash? Did you drop it and now its broken? Are you more worried about the photos on the device than the device itself? This happens to a lot of people. My friend just got back from a long holiday, with over 500 photos of his time away when he accidentally dropped his iPhone. Just like you ate right now, he was more worried about rescuing the photos on his broken iPhone.
If this is you, worry not! This article will explain everything you need to do to recover photos from a dead iPhone.
What to Do First
1 Try to Fix iPhone to Avoid Data Loss
If you dropped the iPhone in water and water damage is what you’re dealing with, try the following to dry off the device.
1. Get your iPhone out of the water as fast as possible.
2. If it’s still on turn it off because running a wet electronic device could damage it permanently. Dry it with a towel and try putting it in dry rice for a few hours.
3. Be patient and don't try to turn it on. Leave it alone for a few days.
If the screen is broken but the device is still fully functional, ask a professional repair shop to fix it. Just be sure to enquire whether the data will be wiped during repair.
2 Check If the iPhone is Synced with iTunes or iCloud
Most of people won't back up their iPhone via iTunes regularly, since you may need to manually back up your data to computer using iTunes. But unlike iTunes, iCloud will automatically back up your device each day, if the following conditions are met:
- You have turned on iCloud Backup in Settings > iCloud > Backup.
- You have connect your device to a power source and to a Wi-Fi network before.
- You still have available space in iCloud.
Check whether there is a latest backup on iTunes that could contain the backups. If you had turned on iCloud, the photos should be in iCloud.
In the next section, we will introduce you to a tool that will help you selectively recover photos from iTunes/iCloud or directly from the iPhone.
How to Recover Photos from Dead/Broken iPhone Selectively
iMyFone D-Back iPhone data recovery or iPhone data recovery Mac program is a professional iPhone data recovery tool, which saves data stored on iPhone, if your iPhone can still be recognized by computer and you haven't make any backup before, you can recover photos directly from your iPhone. If you have made some backups before, it will help you extract photos from iTunes or iCloud backup selectively. iMyFone D-Back is very simple to use, so you will intuitively know what to do in order to restore photos from dead iPhone. The following are the key features of iMyFone D-Back:
Professional iPhone Data Recovery (iOS 10.3 Supported)
- You can choose the necessary mode (Smart Recovery, Recovery from iOS Device, iTunes Backup and iCloud Backup) to preview and selectively recover pictures from broken iPhone;
- Support to recover 22+ file types from iPhone/iCloud backup/iTunes backup such as photos, contacts, text messages, iMessages, WhatsApp messages and more;
- Support nearly all iOS devices such as iPhone 7/6S/6S Plus/6/6 Plus/5S/5/4S/4 running iOS 10.3/10.2/10.1/10/9/8/7.
1 Recover Photos from Dead iPhone Directly
If your iPhone can still be recognized by the computer, iMyFone D-Back can help you get the photos directly from the iPhone. Launch the program on your computer and then choose “Recover from iOS Device”.
Click “Start” and then choose “Photo” so the program knows what to look for. Connect the iPhone to the computer and then click “Scan” when the program recognizes the device.
As soon as the scan is completed, select the photos you need and click “Recover.”
2 Recover Pictures from iTunes/ iCloud Backup Selectively
It will work if you have a habit of making backups of the data from your phone. Launch your iMyFone D-Back, choose Recover from iTunes/iCloud and press Start. Choose photos as the file you wish in the next window.
The program will display the backups, choose the most recent one and click “Scan.’
After the scan iMyFone D-Back will provide you with the list of the photos which will be sorted according to the place they were saved in (e.g. Photo and Video, Message and Call log, Memo and others). Choose the folder where you want to keep the recovered photos, choose the photos you need and press Recover.
So, now you are fully equipped with the tools which will help to restore your lost photos, no need to worry about them anymore.
And not just photos, iMyFone D-Back iPhone data recovery and iPhone data recovery Mac can help you recover up to 22 other types of data. What’s more? There is a free trial version, available now. Go Ahead! Give it a try and see what it can do for you.