If you are wondering why an interesting iOS app from a website is not found on App Store, then chances are you have found an enterprise app. In order to install and launch an enterprise app (downloaded from other sources than App Store), you will need to trust the app on your iPhone to use it. Miscreants always fool innocent users and trick them through malicious apps time and again, so to make sure that the users privacy and security stays intact even if an app is installed from other sources than App store, Apple has made it necessary to trust the app on your iPhone prior to making use of it.
Well! You need to follow this article to understand how to install and trust a custom enterprise app on iPhone securely. The process is well explained, so that you are well aware of what your motive is and what exactly you are going to do by installing the app.
1. How to Install Custom Enterprise Apps on iOS
Installation of custom enterprise apps on your iPhone is possible, only when you have trusted the app on your device. Until then, there is hardly any chance of getting the apps running on your iPhone. In this article, we are going to feature how to install and trust an app on iPhone.
There are two ways to install custom apps on your iPhone – through Mobile Device Management (MDM) and manual installation.
While the MDM automatically trusts the app on your iPhone, the manual method requires you to manually trust the app. MDM is a safe method and requires no interaction at your end.
Here are the steps to manually install an app on iPhone –
- Browse through the app page, and click on the iOS download tab.
- Click on the 'Open' option when prompted with "Open this page in 'iTunes'?".
- Tap 'Install' on the next screen and wait until the custom app gets downloaded in your iPhone.
- After installing, when you try to open the app, you won't be able to do so. An 'Untrusted Enterprise Developer' pop-up will appear making you aware that the installed app is not trusted and you won't be able to use it until you trust this app. Tap 'Cancel' on the pop-up and exit it.
Note: It is vital to trust the custom enterprise app on your iPhone in order to access it after installation. So, here the following section will provide you the details for how you can trust app on iPhone so that you can get through the app easily.
2. How to Trust an App on iPhone
Without further delay, we will directly make you learn the important process of trusting an app. Go along with the step by step guide to understand how to trust an app on iPhone:
1. After canceling the above pop-up, go to the 'Settings' app on your iPhone or other iOS device and click the 'General' tab
2. You will find various options, tap on the 'Profiles', 'Device Management' or 'Profiles & Device Management' tab under the 'General' tab.
Note: 'Profiles & Device Management' option will appear on your iPhone, only after you have downloaded an enterprise app and try to access it as well.
3. Now, look for the 'Enterprise App' heading and you will be able to notice the developer profile.
Note: The developer profile refers to the developer of the enterprise app you have installed on your iPhone.
4. Tap on the developer name now and you will be asked to trust the developer. Tap on 'Trust [developer name]' option. It will ensure that trust has been established for that particular developer.
5. After tapping the developer name in the above step, you will be prompted to confirm your selection in this part. Click on the 'Verify App' button on the popup window.
6. Now the developer profile is trusted on your iPhone and you can now launch the app and start following the onscreen instructions to provide the required permissions to use the app. Also, you can download, install and use other apps from the same developer in future.
The developer will be trusted as long as you haven't used the 'Delete App' button for deleting all the apps of that developer from your iPhone.
While carrying out the above exercise of trusting an app on iPhone, you need to make sure that iPhone has internet connectivity. It ensures that you can double check the certificate of the app developer before trusting the app.
Periodical re-verification of the app's developer certificate is required after the first instance. It ensures trustworthiness of the enterprise app developer. Launching the app or tapping 'Verify App' keeps the trust intact after connecting to the internet.