RAM is the abbreviation of Random Access Memory. It is a type of storage for computer systems that makes it possible to access data very quickly in random order. The term RAM has become associated with the main memory of a computer system. So, how does RAM affect the computer's performance? This question can be easy to answer: if some apps and processes take a large amount of RAM, then it will decrease the running speed of your computer. The signs can be usually seen as your computer's booting time takes a very long time, and the application opening speed is very slow or even the internet running slowly too. If you have any situation of these, you should consider increasing RAM on your computer.
Now that you are aware of the fact that you need to expand your RAM then today's blog will feed you with all the important and helpful information as well as the solutions for this issue. Before we get started with the ways on how to increase RAM, we would like to inform our readers on a few necessary things.
Advantages of increasing RAM on your Mac
1. Boost the performance of your Mac
Yes, you have read it right. One can improve the performance of the computer greatly by just freeing space on the RAM. The overall functioning of the computer and the application will also be improved.
2. Fix the issue of applications freezing on your Mac
Freezing of applications on Mac is one of the most common problems faced by the users when RAM is ran out of. Therefore, by increasing the RAM, then the chances of application freezing will be minimized greatly.
Now that we have fully discussed the issue, let's look into how to get more RAM with different methods.
Let us get started!
Way 1: Release RAM on Your Mac with An Professional Tool
One of the easiest methods of how to get more RAM is releasing internal memory space on your Mac. As the running time increases, there are many processes can take large amount of the RAM on your Mac. These kind of processes or apps can be various, so it's difficult for us to identify and find them out to manage. But it will be pretty easy if we have the help of professional applications. One of the best is called iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner. The advantages of using it can be:
- It lists out the all the apps or processes which occupy the RAM over 50MB.
- It shows the statistics in real-time.
- The operation can be pretty easy: you can free up them in single or in bulk.
- It is an all-in-one Mac manager: Clean up junk files, delete large files, delete duplicate files, erase private data, speed up your Mac in one-click and manage the apps and extensions on your Mac.
Now, follow the steps below to increase RAM on your Mac:
Step 1: Download the program to your Mac firstly, then launch it after the installation.
Step 2: Choose the "Speed Up Your Mac" feature at the left panel. Then click "Start Now" button to proceed.
Step 3: Only a few seconds later, you will see all the data has been displayed to you. You can free up RAM by just choosing the "Free Up RAM" tab.
Way 2. Upgrade and Get More RAM on Your Computer
The next way on how to get more RAM is to upgrade it on your computer. When you have discovered that using Umate Mac Cleaner is not enough for your using, then all you have to do is to purchase a new Mac with more storage space or upgrade your RAM. It's a bit complex to expand RAM manually and there are various steps involved in the process of upgrading or expanding the RAM on your Mac-
Step 1: Check all the information about your RAM
The first and foremost step while expanding your existing Mac's RAM is to carefully check and study its information. Follow the below-mentioned steps to do-
- Click on the Apple icon on the desktop.
- Then, select the option "About this Mac."
- Finally, click on the "System Reports" button.
Doing this, a dialog box will open on your screen, displaying all the information about the existing RAM in your Mac.
Step 2: Check the actual expandable size of your Mac
You can always check this information about your Mac's RAM on the official site of Apple and then take the next step forward to your process of increasing the RAM.
Step 3: Check if your Mac models can be upgraded
Some iMacs, like all the 27” models, have an access panel specifically for adding RAM. And it takes only a few seconds to pop that panel off. Other models, like the latest 21.5” iMac models, require you to remove the screen and logic board which may take at least a few hours. As things stand now, you can upgrade the RAM yourself in the following Mac models:
- MacBook Core 2 Duo
- MacBook Unibody
- MacBook Pro 13” (Mid 2009-Mid 2012)
- MacBook Pro 15” (Late 2008-Mid 2012)
- MacBook Pro 17” (All Models)
- iMac 17” (All Models)
- iMac 20” (All Models)
- iMac 24” (All Models)
- iMac 27” (All Models)
- Mac Mini (Mid 2010-Late 2012)
- Mac Pro (All Models)
Because Apple has taken to soldering the RAM to the motherboard of the computer - particularly on laptops in the last few years. You currently cannot upgrade the RAM yourself in these Mac models:
- iMac Pro (All Models)
- Retina MacBook (All Models)
- MacBook Air 11” (All Models)
- MacBook Air 13” (All Models)
- MacBook Pro 13” with Retina Display (All Models)
- MacBook Pro 13” with Touch Bar (All Models)
- MacBook Pro 15” with Retina Display (All Models)
- MacBook Pro 15” with Touch Bar (All Models)
Step 4: Purchase and install RAM on Mac
Now the third step of getting more RAM for your computer is to purchase a new RAM and install it on your Laptop. The detailed steps to install the RAM on your Mac are listed below-
- First of all, disconnect the charging adapter and then shut down the Mac device.
- Later turn your Mac on the other side very carefully so that the back of the Macbook finally faces you. Now you have to remove all the screws with which the back base is attached to the device.
- Then, you need to discharge the static electricity in your body if any, and this can be done by touching the metal surface present on the inside surface of your Mac.
- The next step is very important so one should do as instructed. First, align the gold edge of the module at the lower memory slot. Later just tilt and push the memory slot and finally push the same module down. When the memory is inserted in the device correctly, you will hear a sudden click sound. Later install the other memory module in the upper (top) slog in the same manner.
- Put the screws again to cover the bottom of your Mac device.
- Congratulations, you are now successful in increasing the RAM for your Mac.
Note to the Readers
Here, we have know the ways to increase RAM on Mac. After comparing all the aspects, we can easily get the best choice - by using iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner. It can free up more RAM for Mac's running immediately, what's more, it's the best Mac manager for our needs.
One important thing which should be noted by the readers is that one should purchase everything from the authentic Apple stores to prevent from getting pirated parts. And the process should be done by a professional. Because there is a possibility that the system will crash if something wrong during the installation of RAM.
We now hope that this blog has helped you in knowing how to get more RAM in the different ways.