[Latest Update] Top 5 Ways to Fix Corrupted AVI Files
Category: Repair Files
5 mins read
How do I fix a corrupted video file? It's an AVI. - from Quora
If you have the same issue, then you are in the right place. Corrupted AVI files can cause headaches and lead to lost data. But with the right tools and knowledge, it's possible to fix corrupted AVI files and restore their functionality. Let’s learn everything about how to repair broken AVI videos.
In this article:
Repair corrupted AVI video files in 3 steps without any technical skills.
Part 1: Symptoms of a Corrupt AVI Video File
There are several symptoms that may indicate a corrupt AVI video file. These include:
- Playback errors: The video may not play at all, or it may freeze or stutter during playback.
- Distorted images or sound: The video may appear blurry or pixelated, or the sound may be muffled or distorted.
- Inability to open or edit the file: You may receive an error message when attempting to open or edit the file.
- Audio and video sync issues: The audio and video may be out of sync, with the sound not matching the images on the screen.
- Green screen or other display issues: The video may display a green screen, pixelated or blocky images, or other visual distortions.
Part 2: Why Does the AVI Video Get Corrupt?
There are many reasons why an AVI video file can become corrupted. Some of the most common causes include:
- Virus infections: Malware or viruses can infect your computer and corrupt your files, including AVI videos.
- Software or hardware malfunctions: Errors in software or hardware can cause damage to AVI video files, leading to corruption.
- Sudden power loss during file transfer: If your computer shuts down suddenly during a file transfer, it can cause damage to the AVI video file.
- Other factors: Other factors that can cause corruption include incomplete downloads, bad sectors on the hard drive, or using incompatible media players to play the file.
- File fragmentation: If the file is stored on a fragmented disk, it may become corrupted as the different fragments become out of sync.
- Outdated codecs: If the video codecs used to encode the AVI file are outdated or not compatible with your media player, it can cause playback issues and corruption.
- Hardware issues: Issues with the hard drive, RAM, or other hardware components can cause errors and damage to AVI video files.
- User error: Accidentally deleting or editing the AVI file, or improperly shutting down your computer while the file is open, can cause corruption.
Part 3: The One-stop AVI Fix Tool to Repair Damaged AVI Video Files
As a reliable and user-friendly software program that specializes in repairing damaged video files, iMyFone UltraRepair is capable of repairing out-of-sync, flickering, grainy, and broken AVI files.
And unplayable AVI files stored in computer, SD card, memory card, flash drive, HDD, and other media can all be repaired instantly without data loss.
- Enjoy high repair success rate to repair severely damaged AVI files by the advanced repair mode.
- Support batch repair, allowing users to repair multiple AVI files simultaneously.
- Support almost all formats of videos, such as AVI, MP4, MOV, FLV, MKV, MPG, M4V, etc.
- Support to convert AVI to other video formats for free.
- Compatible with the latest Windows 11 and macOS 13.5.
Video & Steps to Repair Damaged AVI Files
Watch the video on how to repair corrupt AVI video files:
Step 1: Install iMyFone UltraRepair on your PC and select the Repair option. After that, click Add files and start repairing to import damaged AVI files for repairing.
Step 2: When the AVI files are uploaded, hit the Repair button for the software to begin fixing the videos.
Step 3: After a while, your corrupt AVI videos will be repaired successfully. You can click to preview or save them.
Part 4: 4 Other Ways to Repair Broken AVI Videos
1 Convert AVI Video to Another Format
One simple way to repair a corrupted AVI video file is to convert it to another format. This can be done using a video converter program, such as HandBrake or Any Video Converter. Just upload the AVI video, then choose another format to convert to see whether it works.
2 Update System Drivers
Outdated or faulty drivers can cause issues with your computer's hardware components, including the graphics card and audio drivers needed to play AVI video files. Here's how to update your system drivers:
Step 1: Open the Device Manager on your computer.
Step 2: Locate the device driver you wish to update, such as the graphics or audio driver.
Step 3: Right-click the driver and select Update Driver.
Step 4: Follow the on-screen prompts to download and install the latest version of the driver.
Step 5: Restart your computer and try playing the AVI video file again.
3 Use VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is a free and open-source media player software that supports a wide range of audio and video file formats, including AVI, MPEG, WMV, MP4, and many others. It's a popular choice for media playback due to its versatility and ease of use, and it's available on Windows, macOS, and Linux. In addition to playing media files, VLC Media Player also offers advanced features like audio and video streaming, file conversion, and even video and audio recording. In this guide, we'll focus on how to use VLC Media Player to fix corrupted AVI files on Windows.
Steps to fix corrupted AVI files by VLC
Step 1: Open VLC and broken AVI
Open the app and try to open your broken AVI file. You'll see an on-screen error message. Click Build index and let VLC fix the file.
Step 2: Automate the Process
To avoid the on-screen message every time you open a broken AVI file, go to Tools > Preferences and click on Inputs/Codecs. Scroll down to the Files section and select Always fix for Damaged or incomplete AVI file. Click Save.
Keep in mind that using VLC to fix AVI files only temporarily saves a new index in the app's memory while the file is in use. If you try to watch the file in another media player, you'll still encounter a playback error.
4 Use DivFix++
DivFix++ is a free software program that specializes in repairing corrupted AVI video files. It's a popular and reliable tool that can fix damaged video files by stripping out the old index and rebuilding a new one. This software is easy to use, available on Windows, macOS, and Linux, and can save you from losing important video data due to file corruption. In this guide, we'll cover how to use DivFix++ to fix corrupted AVI files on Windows.
Steps to repair corrupt AVI files by DivFix++
Step 1: Download and Unzip DivFix++
Get a copy of DivFix++ from the developer's website and unzip the ZIP file. No installation is needed.
Step 2: Check the Options
Open the app and pay attention to the checkboxes in the lower right-hand corner. Ensure that Cut Out Bad Parts is ticked if your AVI file won't open.
Step 3: Add Files and Strip the Index
Click Add Files to select your broken file and then click Strip Index to remove the old index. You'll see a confirmation in the Log Window if successful.
Step 4: Rebuild the Index and Fix
Select a destination for the new file and click Fix to rebuild the index and fix any corrupted parts of the video. This process could take several minutes.
Step 5: Confirm Success
When the file is ready, you'll see another confirmation in the Log Window. Play the newly-created file to ensure it works perfectly.
Part 5: How to Avoid a AVI Video Get Corrupt?
To avoid AVI video files from becoming corrupted, there are several preventative measures that can be taken, including:
- Use reliable software programs to download, transfer, and store AVI video files.
- Regularly back up important files to an external hard drive or cloud storage service.
- Keep your computer's hardware components, such as the hard drive and RAM, in good condition by performing routine maintenance and cleaning.
- Use an up-to-date antivirus program to protect your computer from malware and viruses.
- Avoid abrupt power loss during file transfers by using a reliable power source and uninterruptible power supply (UPS) if possible.
- Ensure that your media player is up-to-date and compatible with the AVI file format.
- Avoid editing AVI video files excessively, as this can increase the risk of file corruption.
With the right tools and knowledge, it is possible to repair damaged AVI video files and recover lost data. By following the steps outlined in this article, users can restore the functionality of their AVI files and prevent data loss in the future.
And as a dedicated AVI Video Repair Tool, UltraRepair is reliable on fixing corrupted AVI files with no data loss. You can download and have a try.