The latest version of Apple’s Operating System – iOS 12 and iOS 12.1 were released recently, and they come with a lot of new features such as group notifications, new digital health feature amongst other features that make this new operating system version impressive. However, while it is worth it to install this version of the iOS, it comes with quite some bugs and flaws such as being unable to connect to the App Store or personal hotspot not turning on. For these reasons, some iOS users who have upgraded may want to remove the updated software from their device.
Fortunately, Apple allows you to downgrade from the new iOS version to an older version. In this post, we will be discussing a step by step guide and especially how you can do the downgrade from iOS 12/12.1 to iOS 11 without computer.
Part 1. What You Need to know before iOS 12 or iOS 12.1 Downgrade
- You should ensure that all the data on your iPhone or iPad is backed up because a downgrade from iOS 22 to iOS 11 will erase the data on your device. This will help you get back the lost data in case the downgrade is not successful.
- Ensure that you have a backup in iTunes before you installed the new iOS 12. This back up should also be compatible with iOS 11 before you downgrade because iOS 12 backups are not compatible with iOS 11.
- If the backup you have is for only iOS 12 or iOS 12.1, then for you to restore from the iOS 12/12.1 backup, you may have to update to iOS 12/12.1 before you can downgrade to iOS 11. However, do not worry because there are professional data recovery tools that can help you recover lost files after you have finished downgrading.
- Typically, Apple stops signing previous iOS versions after releasing iOS 12 or 12.1, and this means you may not have a lot of time to downgrade from iOS 12/12.1 to iOS 11.
Part 2. Can You Downgrade iOS 12/12.1 Without Computer
If you are thinking about downgrading your iOS version from iOS 12 to iOS 11 without using a computer, we have to let you know that it is not possible. Whether it is iTunes or another software that you use, you will have to carry out the process of downgrading your iOS on a computer. If anybody tells you they can help you downgrade to an older iOS version, they are not being honest with you. Do not leave your device with them because your data may not be safe with them.
Part 3. How to Downgrade from iOS 12 to iOS 11.4/11 Using iTunes
Step 1: Disable “Find My iPhone.”
Typically, every restore operation on iOS devices involves disabling “Find My iPhone” although you can do this after wiping all the data on the device since you will get a prompt to do that. It only makes more sense to disable the feature first to avoid problems later.
You can disable “Find My iPhone” by opening the settings app and tap “iCloud.” Once it opens, scroll down to disable “Find My Phone.” You will have to enter your Apple ID password to disable the feature.
Step 2. Download the IPSW File for Your iPhone
Search the internet for the iOS 11.4.1 IPSW file for your iPhone model. We have put together direct links for various iPhone models that you can download. These links are directly from Apple’s servers so keep your mind at rest that your phone is secure. Note that the files are large so be ready to wait for a while. If you download the files on a MacBook, you will find the files in your “Download” folder.
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6S
- iPhone 6S Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5S
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation)
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (1st generation)
- 10.5-inch iPad Pro
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro
- 9.7-inch iPad (6th generation)
- 9.7-inch iPad (5th generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air
- iPad mini 4
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 2
- iPod touch (6th generation)
Step 3. Downgrade with iTunes
After you have downloaded the right IPSW file for your iPhone model, connect your iPhone to your computer. Remember that we have established the impossibility of downgrading without a computer. After connecting your phone to your computer, your computer should launch iTunes automatically. If it does not, unlock the phone, allow the phone to trust the computer. If iTunes prompt you to install an update for you to connect the device with the latest iOS version, install the update.
After the phone has successfully connected to iTunes, the phone icon should be right next to the media dropdown. Click on the icon and navigate to “Summary.” Then click 'Restore Backup' and install the firmware package that you downloaded just now. After the restore procee, your iPhone will be back to iOS 11 or older versions.
Part 4. Downgrade iOS 12 to 11.4/11 Without iTunes
If you find it difficult to downgrade from iOS 12 to iOS 11.4, an effective tool that you can use is iMyFone Fixppo. The tool is simple to use, reliable and has a track history of 100% success. With iMyFone Fixppo iOS System Recovery, you will be able to fix all iOS issues the occurred on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and it also allow you to downgrade iOS version to older versions. Even better, the tool ensures that you do not lose your phone data when you use it.
- As the best iTunes alternative. Fixppo's exclusive technology makes it simple to fix all iPhone and iTunes issues that iTunes can't do. .
- What's better, the existing data on your iPhone or iPad will not get lost when using Fixppo.
- An easy-to-use interface is designed to help you repair your iOS devices within minutes.
- It is developed by iMyFone, which has been highly recommended by Makeuseof, Macworld, Cult of Mac, Payetteforward and so on.
- 30-day money back is guaranteened if this program isn't working and we cannot provide valid solutions.
Check the steps below to downgrade from iOS 12 to iOS 11 or older iOS version with ease.
Step 1: Download the latest version of iMyFone Fixppo and install. Select “Standard Mode” when you launch the software. Use a lightning cable to create a connection between your computer and iOS device.
Step 2: Then click on “Start” to put your device in DFU mode so that the tool can detect your device automatically.
Step 3: When Fixppo detects your device, it will provide different versions of firmware from which you will choose the one compatible with your device. You have to be careful here because the software will bring you different firmware versions. If you do not see the one for iOS 11.4 automatically, you may have to click on the drop-down menu where you will select the appropriate lower version. When you find it, click on "Download."
Step 4: After downloading the firmware, click on “Start to Fix” and the program will verify the firmware and install the lower iOS version on your phone.
Downgrading the iOS version on your device from iOS 12 to iOS 11 requires using a computer in all of the methods, and if you want to go through this process without losing data, using the iMyFone Fixppo is your best bet. Get the software today on either Windows PC or MacBook.