A reset in the iPhone means that you have lost your data. The device becomes fresh, as if you just brought it from the store. The reason is good enough for people to take a back step when they would like to restore from iCloud backup.
Usually, people would like to retrieve data from iCloud due to any of the reasons such as: to restore deleted or lost iOS contents after losing them from the device, to transfer files or contents from an old device to a new device or to recover files from the backup created before restoring the device. We will introduce how to restore from iCloud with or without reset in the following text.
1 Reset and Restore Your iPhone from iCloud
If you are willing to restore data for your iPhone that you already made backup using iCloud before, check the following steps.
Step 1. Go to the “Settings” on your device. Under the “General” tab, tap “Software Update”. If a new version is available, download and complete the process.
Step 2. Ensure that you have a recent backup from which you would like to restore.
* For iOS 9 & 8 - Go to Settings – iCloud – Storage -Manage Storage, and tap on the backup files you see along with the date and size.
* For iOS 7 – Go to Settings - iCloud - Storage & Backup - Manage Storage, and tap on the backup files you see along with date and size.
Step 3. Go to Settings - General - Reset, and then select “Erase all content and settings.”
Step 4. From apps and data screen, select “Restore from iCloud Backup”, and then sign into iCloud account.
Step 5. Proceed with “Choose backup”, and then select from the list of available backups.
Shortages of Resetting and Restoring from iCloud
But there are some shortages of restoring from iCloud you may need to consider:
- Fisrtly, you will lose some data if the last iCloud backup file is not current. Your device will restore to the moment it was backed up last and all the data created between the moment you made the last backup using iCloud and the moment you restore your iPhone will be lost forever.
- Secondly you can’t preview and selectively recover the contents you want in this way. Maybe you realize that the backup file you choose to restore from doesn't contain the data you want after the whole progress is complete.
- Moreover sometimes your iPhone will get stuck in restore progress.
So we will introduce an useful tool to let you preview and restore important data from iCloud backup selectively without reset in the following text.
2 Selectively Restore Files from iCloud without Reset(iOS 10 Included)
You now have the option to preview and restore data selectively from your iCloud backup. iMyfone D-Back iCloud data extractor Win or iCloud data extractor for Mac, the recovery tool for iPhone 7/6s/6s Plus/6/6 Plus/5s/5c/5/4s/4, will assist you in recovering only the needed files from your iCloud backup without resetting your device.
And it is capable of extracting and recovering lost or deleted data from iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, iTunes Backup and iCloud Backup. Unlike other recovery programs, the specialty of this tool lies in its features, which are:
- Supporting over 22 file such as contacts, photos, text messages, Whatsapp messages, Skype messages, notes and more.
- Besides iCloud backup, it can also restore data from iTunes backup and iOS device directly.
- Displays the recoverable files before you extract and back up lost and existing data.
- Supports 7/6s/6/5s/5c/5/4s/4 running iOS 7/8/9/10.
Steps to Restore from iCloud Backup without Reset
Step 1: Choose Recovery Mode
Launch the program after completing the installation. From the main screen, select “Recover from iCloud backup” option. Click the “Start” button and select files.
Step 2: Select the Most Relevant iCloud Backup
The program will ask you to enter the iCloud account details. Fill in with your login details so that the application will check for the available backup files in the account. From the available list, select the most recent backup file from which you want to recover data. Click “Next” to allow the program to download the backup files.
Step 3: Preview and Restore Files from iCloud
iMyfone D-Back will display the results after completing the scan. You can preview and choose the content that you would like to recover, and proceed by clicking the “Recover” button.
A small window opens up asking to choose the destination folder. Pick a folder from the computer or create one, and allow the application to complete the recovery process. Once complete, you can browse the folder to see the recovered content.
With the help of iMyfone D-Back iCloud data extractor or iCloud data extractor for Mac, you no longer have to worry about resetting your iPhone. You can selectively recover files from your iCloud backup to your current device in simple steps.