There are several reasons why people would want to retrieve data from an iCloud Backup file including restoring deleted or lost data, transferring content from an old device to a new one among other reasons. But most people will shy away from resetting the device before restoring from an iCloud backup. This is because resetting the device will often result in data loss. All of the content that was not included in the most recent backup will disappear alongside all your settings.
In this article, we're going to show you two ways in which you can restore data from an iCloud backup without resetting your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
1. Disadvantages to Directly Restore iPhone from iCloud Backup
There are some shortcoming of restoring from iCloud you may need to consider:
- Fisrtly, you will lose some data if the last iCloud backup file is not up to date. Your device will restore to the moment it was backed up and all the data created between the moment you made the last backup using iCloud and the moment you restore your iPhone will be lost forever.
- Secondly you can't preview and selectively recover the contents you want in this way. Maybe you didn't realize that the backup file you choose to restore from doesn't contain the data you want until the whole progress is complete.
- Moreover sometimes your iPhone may get stuck in the restore progress.
- Lastly, it will be time-consuming if the iCloud backup if fairly large.
So we will introduce the following 2 ways to let you preview and restore important data from iCloud backup selectively without reset.
2. Restore iPhone from iCloud Without Resetting (iOS 12 Included)
With iMyFone D-Back (iOS 12 compatible), the best iCloud data extractor and data recovery tool for iPhone/iPad, you can selectively recover data from your iCloud backup files without having to reset your device. It is capable of recovering data from all iOS devices and extracting data from your iTunes or iCloud backup files. This program's special features make this type of data recovery effortless. They include the following;
- Supporting to restore over 22 file types such as contacts, photos, text messages, Whatsapp messages, notes and more.
- No data loss on your device after restoring iCloud backup.
- Allows to restore particular files you need from iCloud without reset.
- Besides iCloud backup, it can also restore data from iTunes backup and iOS device directly.
- Supports XS/XR/X/8/7/6s/6/5s/5c/5/4s/4 running iOS 7/8/9/10/11/12.
- Easy operations and positive results.
-Real user review
How to Restore from iCloud Backup Without Reset iPhone/iPad
Step 1: Choose Recovery Mode
Launch the program after completing the installation. From the main screen, select "Recover from iCloud backup" option. Click the "Start" button and select files.
Step 2: Select the Most Recent iCloud Backup
The program will ask you to enter the iCloud account details. Fill in with your login details so that the application will check for the available backup files in the account. From the available list, select the most recent backup file from which you want to recover data. Click "Next" to allow the program to download the backup files.
Step 3: Preview and Restore Files from iCloud Backup
iMyfone D-Back will then display all the results from the scan. Preview and choose the content you want to recover and then click "Recover."
A small window opens up asking to choose the destination folder. Pick a folder from the computer or create one, and allow the application to complete the recovery process. Once complete, you can browse the folder to see the recovered content.
With iMyFone D-Back iCloud data extractor, you don't have to reset your device. You can simply access the iCloud backup file and extract the data you need.
You can also use this program to extract data from iTunes backup or directly recover data from your devices running different iOS versions including the latest version of iOS 12.
3. Download and Restore Data from iCloud.com
One other way to access your iCloud Backup file is via iCloud.com. Follow these simple steps to do it.
Step 1: On your computer, log in to https://www.icloud.com/ using your Apple ID and password.
Step 2: All the backup files will be available on the site. You can easily access any file type by clicking on it.
While this is a secure way to access your files, it does have a few shortcomings. You may not be able to access certain types of data including WhatsApp attachments, SMS, MMS, iMessages, voice memos and photo stream.
4. How to Restore iPhone from iCloud
If you are just restoring iCloud backup to new iPhone or not care if the data will be erased, you don't have to worry about the reset issue as there is nothing to lose. Here is what to do in terms of official iCloud restore.
Step 1: Go to Settings > General > Reset and choose Erase All Content and Settings.
Step 2: Enter the passcode to confirm erasing.
Step 3: You will then be navigated to Apps & Data screen, where you can choose to Restore from iCloud backup option.
After choosing the iCloud backup, it will immediately starts restoring data. The whole process depends on how large the backup file is.
Here you must have fully understand how to restore iCloud backup with/without resetting. Among the 3 ways I would highly recommend you to try iMyFone D-Back as it won't cause data loss and the free trial allows you to access and view iCloud files. Just hit the download button below.