There are several reasons why people would want to retrieve data from an iCloud Backup file including restoring deleted or lost data, transferring content from an old device to a new one among other reasons. But most people will shy away from resetting the device before restoring from an iCloud backup. This is because resetting the device will often result in data loss. All of the content that was not included in the most recent backup will disappear alongside all your settings.
In this article, we’re going to show you two ways you can retrieve data from an iCloud backup file without resetting the device.
1 Shortages of Restoring and Resetting from iCloud
There are some shortages of restoring from iCloud you may need to consider:
- Fisrtly, you will lose some data if the last iCloud backup file is not current. Your device will restore to the moment it was backed up last and all the data created between the moment you made the last backup using iCloud and the moment you restore your iPhone will be lost forever.
- Secondly you can’t preview and selectively recover the contents you want in this way. Maybe you didn't realize that the backup file you choose to restore from doesn't contain the data you want until the whole progress is complete.
- Moreover sometimes your iPhone will get stuck in restore progress.
So we will introduce the following 2 ways to let you preview and restore important data from iCloud backup selectively without reset.
2 Download Data from iCloud.com
One way to access your iCloud Backup file is via iCloud.com. Follow these simple steps to do it.
Step 1: On your computer, log in to https://www.icloud.com/ using your Apple ID and password.
Step 2: all the backup files will be available on the site. You can easily access any file type by clicking on it.
While this is a secure way to access your files, it does have a few shortcomings. You may not be able to access certain types of data including WhatsApp attachments, SMS, MMS, iMessages, voice memos and photo stream.
3 Selectively Restore Files from iCloud without Reset(iOS 10 Included)
With iMyfone D-Back iCloud data extractor Win or iCloud data extractor for Mac, a data recovery tool for iPhone 7/6s/6s Plus/6/6 Plus/5s/5c/5/4s/4 you can selectively recover data from your iCloud backup files without having to reset your device. It is capable of recovering data from all iOS devices and extracting data from your iTunes or iCloud backup files. This program’s special features make this type of data recovery possible. They include the following;
- Supporting over 22 file such as contacts, photos, text messages, Whatsapp messages, Skype messages, notes and more.
- Besides iCloud backup, it can also restore data from iTunes backup and iOS device directly.
- Displays the recoverable files before you extract and back up lost and existing data.
- Supports 7/6s/6/5s/5c/5/4s/4 running iOS 7/8/9/10.
Steps to Restore from iCloud Backup without Reset
Step 1: Choose Recovery Mode
Launch the program after completing the installation. From the main screen, select “Recover from iCloud backup” option. Click the “Start” button and select files.
Step 2: Select the Most Relevant iCloud Backup
The program will ask you to enter the iCloud account details. Fill in with your login details so that the application will check for the available backup files in the account. From the available list, select the most recent backup file from which you want to recover data. Click “Next” to allow the program to download the backup files.
Step 3: Preview and Restore Files from iCloud
iMyfone D-back will then display all the results from the scan. Preview and choose the content you want to recover and then click “Recover.”
A small window opens up asking to choose the destination folder. Pick a folder from the computer or create one, and allow the application to complete the recovery process. Once complete, you can browse the folder to see the recovered content.