Even though social networking apps have become quite popular, text messages still remain a major part of the communication channel. Keeping text messages especially when they contain crucial information is of paramount importance. But it happens easily to us all that we can sometimes lose these messages. Accidental deletion or upgrading to the latest operation system (iOS 11 for now) could be the causes.
If you unfortunately happen to have lost some of your text messages and want them back, the first question you will ask yourself is whether it is possible to retrieve deleted text messages iPhone. This article will show you 3 easy ways to retrieve deleted text messages from iPhone X/8/7/6s/6/5s/5c/5/4s/4 for your reference. If you have never retrieved deleted messages before, you might wonder whether this is really possible. Let’s find out.
- Q: Can I Retrieve Deleted Text Messages I Wanted to Keep from My iPhone?
- Method 1: Retrieve Deleted iPhone Text Messages with/without Backup
- Method 2: Retrieve Deleted iPhone Text Messages from iCloud Backup
- Method 3: Retrieve Deleted iPhone Text Messages from iTunes Backup
- Tip: Fully Restore from iTunes/iCloud Backup vs Recover with Third-Party Software
QCan I Retrieve Deleted Text Messages I Wanted to Keep from My iPhone?
One common thing we have heard from iPhone users is “I just deleted text messages I wanted to keep can I retrieve them from my iPhone?”. If you are asking yourself this question, you will be happy to know that the answer is a yes. iPhone saves all data in an SQLite database. When you delete your text messages, they are just moved from the “Allocated” category to “Unallocated” category. However, the actual data is still available. If you create new data, the “Unallocated” category will get occupied first. This overwrites the deleted information. If the deleted messages are yet to be overwritten, you can use a third-party tool to access the SQLite database and retrieve this data.
If you had already used either iTunes or iCloud to backup your device, you can restore the data to your device. iCloud and iTunes are capable of backing up both the deleted and existing data. But, you will not have the ability to access or see the data you had already deleted even after restoring your backup. In some cases, you may not be sure whether your data has been successfully backed up. It is possible to view both the deleted and existing data on iTunes and iCloud backups using a professional iPhone data recovery tool. We will be introducing the professional tool you can use in this article.
You should avoid using your iPhone when you are trying to access and view deleted iPhone data. This is because you will generate new data which will end up overwriting the deleted data. This will make your deleted data unrecoverable.
1 Retrieve iPhone Deleted Messages with/without Backup
If you forgot to back up your text messages on iTunes or iCloud or don't want to restore the device and risk losing the new data on your iPhone, an iPhone data recovery program may help.
Most people don't know this but deleted data doesn't actually get completely deleted from the device. the system will only delete the file marker instead of the data itsself to make room for new data. Therefore, with the right tool, such as iMyFone D-Back iPhone data recovery for Win and iMyFone D-Back iPhone data recovery for Mac you can get your messages back.
iMyFone D-Back iPhone data recovery
- Retrieve deleted text messages on iPhone no matter you have backup or not.
- The preview function ensures you to retrieve what you exactly need.
- Avoid the risk of data overwriting while recovering.
- Retrieve 22+ file types for your iPhone, such as photos, videos, WhatsApp messages, notes, Viber messages and more.
- Supports almost all iOS devices running different iOS version, including iPhone 7 , iPhone 8, iPhone X and iOS 11.
Here's how to use iMyFone D-Back to get your messages back.
Steps to Retrieve Deleted Text Messages from iPhone
Step 1. Select iPhone Text Message and How You Lost Them
Download and Launch the program on your computer. Firstly, it will ask you to choose how you lost the file and select the file type you need recover. By specifying these details, the scan and search time can be greatly reduced.
Step 2. Scan Your iPhone Smartly
Then, the program will intelligently scan and search your deleted text messages from iOS device (if you have't made any backup before) , or iTunes backup or iCloud backup according to previous selection at the very beginning. This smart function can find your data quickly and save your time hugely.
Step 3. Preview and Recover iPhone Text Message
Once scan is completed, your text messages will be clearly listed on the middle part of the data recovery tool's interface. You can enable the button "Only show the deleted" to preview the deleted message. If you find the text message you need, click "Recover" and choose a location on your computer as the recovery path.
- If you haven't made any backup before and want to retrieve messages directly from iPhone, please ensure that your iPhone can be recognized by the computer.
- You can also use iMyFone D-Back to recover deleted text messages from your iTunes or iCloud backup file to computer.
- The free trial version is available for both Windows and Mac users. You can download it to check whether your deleted text messages can be recovered or not.
2 Retrieve Deleted iPhone Text Messages from iCloud Backup
If you have turned on iCloud on your device, then it is likely that you could retrieve the messages by restoring the iCloud backup. Here's how to do it.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset,choose Erase All Content and Settings.
- Follow the instructions on the Setup assistant and then select "Restore from an iCloud Backup".
- Choose the iCloud backup including the deleted text messages and wait for the restoration process to complete.
3 Retrieve iPhone Deleted Text Messages from iTunes Backup
Before you restore an iTunes backup, remember that new data that was not included in the backup will be overwritten. Therefore, backup existing data before restoring the deleted messages. Here's how to restore an iTunes backup.
- After you connect your iPhone to the computer on which you perform the backup, iTunes will open, and click the iPhone icon in top left corner of the window.
- Click on Restore Backup... to choose the exact iTunes backup. After restoring, you will see the deleted messages back on your iPhone.
But besides the disadvantage of overwriting the existing data, iTunes cannot read your text messages before restoration, which means you have to restore all the messages and data you don't need. And for people who don't back up their data often, or who delete their text messages after last backup, in this situation you can use "Recover from iTunes backup" of iMyFone D-Back to preview and extract messages from iTunes selectively.
TipRestore from iTunes/iCloud Backup vs Recover with D-Back
If you are trying to retrieve your deleted messages by restoring them from iTunes or iCloud backup:
- It will be free.
- You will get all your messages back to your iPhone.
However, you need to make sure:
- A backup should be created successfully on either iCloud or iTunes.
- One important thing you need to note before you go ahead and do a full backup restoration is that you will lose all the data you have created between the moment your iPhone last updated to iCloud or iTunes and the moment you restore the device. The current data will get overwritten by the restored data.
If you are trying to recover your deleted messages using iMyFone D-Back:
- This may not be 100% free. However, a free trial version is available. This trial version allows you to find and preview your deleted data. Since the free trial version can find and preview the deleted text messages and other data, it means that the full version will have the ability to recover this data.
- It also allows you to selectively choose what you wish to recover. However, in order to avoid overwriting the current data you have on your iOS device, iMyFone D-Back will not transfer the recovered data to your device for now.
After going through this article, you will know how to see deleted texts iOS and also how to retrieve deleted texts on iPhone. We sincerely hope that you recover all your deleted/lost text messages using the above methods. Please note that iMyFone D-Back has available free trial version. We would like to hear from you. If you encounter any further problems, feel free to contact us or leave a comment below.