Even though social networking apps have become quite popular, text messages remain a major part of the communication channel. Keeping text messages especially when they contain heartfelt messages is of paramount importance. But it is very easy to lose these messages, accidental deletion being one of the major causes.
If you happen to have lost some of your text messages and want them back, this article will show you easy ways to retrieve deleted text messages from iPhone 7/6s/6/5s/5c/5/4s/4 for your reference.
1 Selectively Recover iPhone Deleted Messages with/without Backup
If you forgot to back up your text messages on iTunes or iCloud or don’t want to restore the device and risk losing the new data on your iPhone, an iPhone data recovery program may help.
Most people don’t know this but deleted data doesn’t actually get completely deleted from the device. the system will only delete the file marker, making room for new data. Therefore, with the right tool, such as iMyFone D-Back iPhone data recovery for Win and iMyFone D-Back iPhone data recovery for Mac you can get your messages backup. The following are some of the features that make it the ideal tool to use.
Tool You'll Need: iMyFone D-Back iPhone Data Recovery
- Retrieve deleted text messages on iPhone no matter you have backup or not.
- The preview function ensures you to retrieve what you exactly need.
- Avoid the risk of data overwriting while recovering.
- Retrieve 22+ file types for your iPhone, such as photos, videos, WhatsApp messages, notes, Viber messages and more.
- Support iOS devices running different iOS version, included iPhone 7 and iOS 10.
Here’s how to use iMyFone D-Back to get your messages back.
Steps to Retrieve Deleted Text Messages from iPhone
Step 1. Select iPhone Text Message and How You Lost Them
Download and Launch the program on your computer. Firstly, it will ask you to choose the file type you need recover and how you lost the file. By specifying these details, the scan and search time can be greatly reduced.
Step 2. Scan Your iPhone Smartly
Then, the program will intelligently scan and search your deleted text messages from iOS device (if you have't made any backup before) , or iTunes backup or iCloud backup according to previous selection at the very beginning. This smart function can find your data quickly and save your time hugely.
Step 3. Preview and Recover iPhone Text Message
Once scan is completed, your text messages will be clearly listed on the middle part of the data recovery tool’s interface. You can enable the button “Only show the deleted” to preview the deleted message. If you find the text message you need, click “Recover” and choose a location on your computer as the recovery path.
- If you haven't made any backup before and want to retrieve messages directly from iPhone, please ensure that your iPhone can be recognized by the computer.
- You can also use iMyFone D-Back to extract text messages from your iTunes or iCloud backup file to computer without overwriting data on your iPhone.
- The free trial version is available for both Windows and Mac users. You can download the trial version to figure out whether this program can find your deleted text messages.
iMyFone D-Back data recovery Windows and iMyFone D-Back data recovery Mac can not only help you recover your text messages but also various types of data such as call history, voice memos, contacts and more. It is also compatible with nearly all iOS devices and all versions of the iOS system.
2 Retrieve Deleted iPhone Text Messages from iCloud Backup
If you have turned on iCloud on your device, then it is likely that you could retrieve the messages by restoring the iCloud backup. Here’s how to do it.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset,choose Erase All Content and Settings.
- Follow the instructions on the Setup assistant and then select “Restore from an iCloud Backup”.
- Choose the iCloud backup including the deleted text messages and wait for the restoration process to complete.
Note: I think we should eliminate the Note. We already said erase all contents and settings in step 1.
3 Retrieve iPhone Deleted Text Messages from iTunes Backup
Before you restore an iTunes backup, remember that new data that was not included in the backup will be overwritten. Therefore, backup existing data before restoring the deleted messages. Here’s how to restore an iTunes backup.
- After you connect your iPhone to the computer on which you perform the backup, iTunes will open, and click the iPhone icon in top left corner of the window.
- Click on Restore Backup... to choose the exact iTunes backup. After restoring, you will see the deleted messages back on your iPhone.
But besides the disadvantage of overwriting the existing data, iTunes cannot read your text messages before restoration, which means you have to restore all the messages and data you don't need. And for people who don't back up their data often, or who delete their text messages after last backup, in this situation you can use "Recover from iTunes backup" of iMyFone D-Back iPhone data recovery Win or iMyFone iPhone data recovery's Mac version to preview and extract messages from iTunes selectively.
And we will appreciate it very much if you could leave a comment about whether any of three methods are useful for you. If you know other methods to retrieve deleted text messages iPhone, you can also tell us by comment.