When you backup your iPhone using iTunes, the intention is to keep your information and settings safe in case of eventualities. Ideally, your backup files will be transferred to your PC or Mac after every successful backup, but where are iTunes backups stored? We will look at the various locations your backups are stored and how you can get to them.
Where iTunes Backups Are Stored on Windows
On Windows systems, your iTunes backups are stored in this location: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\AppleComputer\MobileSync\Backup\
Steps to Locate Your Backups manually on Windows PC
Step 1: Open the ‘search box’ (the method will vary depending on the windows you are currently using)
Step 2: Click inside the search box and type %appdata% and press ‘Enter’ on the keyboard
Step 3: From this point, open the folders in this order: ‘AppleComputer’ > ‘MobileSync’ > ‘Backup’
Your backups will be listed out on the screen. They are not readable in this format: you can only make them readable by restoring iPhone from backup or extracting data from them to your PC.
Where iTunes Backups Are Stored on Mac
On Mac systems, your iTunes backups are stored in this location: ̴/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
Steps to Access the Location of Your Backups Manually on Mac
There are two options you can explore:
Step 1: Click on the menu bar
Step 2: Type in: ̴/Library/Application Support/MobileSync (the address of the backups) to view them
Or use iTunes to find a specific backup
Step 1: Open iTunes
Step 2: In the menu bar, click iTunes ->Preferences
Step 3: Click the device tab
Step 4: Control-click the particular backup you want
Step 5: Click ‘Show in Finder’
The backups you will get from these methods are not human readable: you can only read them when you recover data from your iPhone backup.
Bonus 1: What To Do If You Forgot iTunes Backup Password
You will need to backup your data on iTunes with a password. When there is need to recover the backup data, you will need the password to access the backup files. If you forget the password, you cannot access the files unless you use an efficient recovery software.
iMyFone KeyGenius is one of the most reliable password recovery software you can find anywhere and we recommend using it if you forgot your iTunes password.
- Easy To Use: The software will help you retrieve the password and recover your backups with ease.
- Reliability: It employs advanced algorithms and uses three different attack methods to ensure that iTunes backup passwords are successfully cracked and your files recovered
- Fast Solution: Fixing the problem of forgotten iTunes password will take just few minutes.
- Robust Compatibility: KeyGenius is compatible with all kinds of iOS devices and iTunes versions.
Steps to Take If You Forgot iTunes Backup Password
Step 1: Download and launch KeyGenius on your computer
Step 2: Choose the ‘Unlock iTunes Backup’ function
Step 3: Choose the backup you want to unlock from the list and click on the ‘Next’ button
Step 4: Select the attack method you want to use and click on ‘Start to Unlock’.
Your password will be recovered and you can use it to access your iTunes backup.
Bonus 2: How to Backup iPhone Without iTunes
It is very important to backup your iPhone to minimize the chances of total data loss in the face of eventualities. If you do not want to use iTunes to backup your iPhone due to its limitations, there is another viable way to do it. The use of iMyFone TunesMate is becoming very popular for several reasons. The third-party application is flexible and user-friendly.
iMyFone TunesMate has several impressive features to make your experience smooth. The key features include:
- You will enjoy one-click transfer for all media files, and it bypasses all iTunes limitations.
- You can preview photos and other files for selective transfers (this is something you cannot do with iTunes backup; it is one reason many people choose TunesMate)
- With TunesMate, you can transfer data from iPhone to computer/iTunes and vice versa.
- You can sync and transfer different kinds of files including photos, documents, videos, audiobooks, playlists and more.
Understanding where your iTunes backups are stored in PC or Mac systems will help you locate them easily and monitor how your iPhone files are backed up in your computer. We have discussed how you can find them as well as how you can use iMyFone KeyGenius to get your iTunes backups if you forgot your backup password. Remember, you can also backup iPhone without iTunes by using iMyFone TunesMate. It is a flexible and reliable application.