Like our user above, if you find you're unable to restore a WhatsApp backup from Google Drive, keep reading for some of the most effective solutions to this problem.
Part 1. Try the Official Troubleshooting Actions
Before we try some more invasive solutions to fix "Unable to Restore WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive" issues, you need to check some point below to make sure that you're doing everything correctly;
- Make sure that you have adequate storage space on the device.
- Ensure that Google Play Services is installed.
- Ensure that the device is fully charged as you attempt the restore process.
- Check your internet connection.
TipsEnsure that you are trying to restore a backup using the same number and the same Google Account you used when backing up the data.
Part 2. Backup and Restore Your WhatsApp with 3rd-Party Tool
01 Restore WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive Direcly
If you're unable to restore or backup your WhatsApp from Google Drive, use a third-party tool to help is a great choice! Here we recommend iTransor for WhatsApp to you! It can help you export the WhatsApp backup from Google Drive to PC, and restore it to your device easily!
Let's see how we can export Google Drive backup to PC via iTransor for WhatsApp
Step 1.Download and install iTransor for WhatsApp and log in. Tap on "Restore/Export WhatsApp Backup" > "Import Google Drive Backup".
Step 2.Sign in to your Google Account, and you can see all your WhatsApp backups.
Step 3.Choose a WhatsApp backup you want to export and click "Export to Computer" on the bottom right corner.
Step 4.Wait for the progress to complete.
NoteIn this progress, you will receive the 6-digit code and enter it.
Step 5.After it finish, you can see all WhatsApp backups on the screen, you can choose the one you want to export.
02 Restore WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive with 2 Steps
Step #1. Backup WhatsApp using iTransor for WhatsApp
Apart from the first method, you can try to backup WhatsApp to iTransor, and then restore it to your device.
To backup all your WhatsApp data using iTransor, follow these simple steps;
Step 1. Download and install the program and then open it. In the main window, click on “Backup WhatsApp messages on Devices.”
Step 2. Connect your device to the computer and wait for the program to detect the device.And then click "Back Up".
Step 3.The process will begin automatically, keep waiting for the progress complete.
Step #2. Restore WhatsApp Backup using iTransor for WhatsApp
Follow these simple steps to restore a WhatsApp backup to your device using iTransor for WhatsApp;
Step 1. Select “Restore WhatsApp to Devices”in the main screen, and then choose the specific backup file you would like to use from the list of backups presented.
Step 2. Now connect the device to the computer, and click on "Restore", the process will begin.
Step 3.After the scaning, you can view the restored data on your device.
Part 3. Switch to Restore WhatsApp Backup from SD Card
Another solution to fix this problem is to switch from restoring from Google Drive to SD card.
The following are some of the ways we found in forums:
Tip #1. Rename the Backup You Want to Restore from
There are two different guides to let you rename the backup.
- Step 1: Connect the device to your computer and locate the folder marked /WhatsApp/Databases. Search for msgstore.db.cryot10 and copy it to a location on your PC.
- Step 2: Disable the automatic Google backup and back up WhatsApp locally to the device or SD card.
- Step 3: Restart the phone and then reconnect it to the PC. You will see a new file named .crypt9 saved in the WhatsApp databases folder. Copy the crypto10 file onto the device three times, change the extensions to crypto 10, 9, and 8, and they will overwrite existing files with the same name.
- Step 4: Copy all three files into the folder with the same name on the SD card, and you should be able to restore the backup.
Tip #2. Delete Your Google Account
- Step 1: Copy your desired backup file /msgstore.db.crypt12 from the Phone/WhatsApp/Databases/ on your phone’s internal storage and save it to SD card.
- Step 2: Reinstall WhatsApp on your new device and without opening the app, delete your Google account.
- Step 3: Open your WhatsApp, it shall not be able to find your Google WhatsApp backup during the set-up but will detect the desired local backup you just put into your SD card and start to restore from it.
That's all methods to help you fix "Unable to Restore WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive" issues. With the help of iTransor for WhatsApp, you can restore WhatsApp from Google Drive backup with ease! If you have trouble, try this way right now!