WhatsApp is one of the most prominent instant messaging apps used worldwide. In order to avoid data loss, we need to back up our WhatsApp data regularly, so that we can restore our WhatsApp data once it is lost. However, the backups of our data aren’t always restored successfully. For example, some of our users have met a problem that their WhatsApp didn’t restore photos from the backup. This detailed guide today will provide different solutions to fix this issue for both iPhone and Android users.
Part 1. Solutions to WhatsApp not Restoring Photos on iPhone Devices
We have met a user who want to restore the WhatsApp backup in his iCloud Drive to a new iPhone device, but after the backup restored, his original 5GB backup have only 440MB left, with all the pictures and documents lost.
If you are facing such similar situations, here are the solutions for you.
Solution 1. Make Sure the Two iPhone Devices is in Same iOS Versions
This issue can occur when you try to restore old iPhone’s back up into a new iPhone. It may happen due to the difference between versions of iOS running on both iPhones. Because the storage location of WhatsApp media files can be different in different versions of iPhones. So you can check the version of iOS as follows: Go to Settings. Then, the General option. Click on About and tap Version.
Another possible reason for WhatsApp media not restored is to run different versions of WhatsApp. It can happen due to the changes in database fields in the different WhatsApp versions. So different versions can create an error during the database parsing process. You can check the WhatsApp version as follows:
Go to WhatsApp Settings > Help > See the WhatsApp version on the top
Solution 2. Make Sure You Have Turn on Backup in iCloud Drive
Before restoring your WhatsApp data, make sure to turn on WhatsApp backup in iCloud Drive. Otherwise, your WhatsApp data will not be backup properly in iCloud backup.
Therefore, you need to turn on your iCloud Drive on your iOS device. You can turn it on by following these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Then, Apple ID [your name], Tap iCloud option.
- Now swipe to turn on iCloud Drive.
- After turning iCloud Drive on, you can swipe to turn on WhatsApp for backing up your WhatsApp chats and media.
- Use the same Apple ID to access iCloud that you have used to create WhatsApp backup. Make sure to turn on iCloud Drive.
- Your iCloud and iPhone must have enough free space. Both iPhone and iCloud have at least 2.05 times more space than the actual size of your backup.
- Make sure to use the same number to backup and restore your photos from WhatsApp.
If you exactly follow this method, you will successfully restore your WhatsApp photos from Backup.
Part 2. Solutions to WhatsApp not Restoring Photos on Android Devices
WhatsApp creates backup locally as well as on Google Drive. So it is a straightforward method to restore your WhatsApp backup from Google Drive. If you WhatsApp not restoring photos from backup Android, you can restore WhatsApp photos from the local backup.
Check Your Phone’s WhatsApp Folder
First of all, this step only works for Android users. Because the iPhone doesn’t give you access to the entire file system. Moreover, you even can’t access files using file apps.
WhatsApp saves all received and sent images by default in a specific folder. Even after erasing an image from a conversation, you can still access this folder on your phone. All you need to have a file explorer app on your phone. If you don’t have a file explorer app, download it free from the play store. Now follow the path below to find the image folder:
Internal Memory > WhatsApp > Media > WhatsApp Images
You will find all your received images in this folder! In addition, you will see a Sent folder where you can see your all sent images. If you don’t find the WhatsApp Images folder in your internal memory. You can check it out on the SD card.
Bonus Tip: WhatsApp Data Manager – iTransor for WhatsApp
Either you are an experienced WhatsApp user or beginner, you will always face WhatsApp media not restored problem quite often.
If you want to restore your WhatsApp backup without any fear, you need a WhatsApp data managing app, which can help you backup, restore WhatsApp data without worrying about problems above. iTransor for WhatsApp is a tool that can backup, restore and even transfer all WhatsApp data between iOS and Android devices without caring about OS restrictions. It will keep all your backups on your PC so you won’t need to worry about data overwritten or safety.
How to Create a WhatsApp Backup Using iTransor for WhatsApp
iTransor for WhatsApp allows you to backup your conversation and all media files in a few clicks. There is no size limit to backup your data. Just follow the steps below to create a backup:
- Connect your smartphone with the PC and trust the device.
- Run iTransor for WhatsApp and let it detect your smartphone.
- Select Backup WhatsApp on Devices from the left pane.
- Press the Backup button and initiate the backing up process.
- Everything has been backed up!
How to Restore WhatsApp Backup Using iTransor for WhatsApp
This WhatsApp data managing app is capable to create multiple data backup. So you can create if you want. After backing up, connect your cellphone to restore your WhatsApp data. You can restore WhatsApp backup to any smartphone. Follow the steps below to restore data:
- After connecting the phone, select the Restore WhatsApp to Devices in the left pane.
- You will find a complete list of your backup files. So it allows you to restore the most recent or the least recent backup. Select a backup and press the Next button.
- Choose a device to import data.
- Press the restore button to restore your entire backup including conversations, photos, and other media files.
Media loss is a crucial problem while backing up WhatsApp data. Different versions of smartphones or WhatsApp can create such problems. Hopefully, the solutions above will make a difference for your WhatsApp backup & restore problems.