Touch screen devices have become common these days as many people prefer them for their advanced features. It is very rare that the touch screen of an iPhone stops working but when it does, it gives all the problems to the user.
Recently, many users have complained that the top of the iPhone X screen is not working. It can be very annoying for the user because when you touch on the screen, nothing happens.
Reasons Why Top Part of My iPhone Screen Not Working
Before seeing the solutions for this top part of the iPhone screen not working error, it is important to know the reasons why this happens.
- Some parts of the screen stop responding to your touches when the digitizer, which processes touch, stops working correctly.
- It could also be a software problem that results in the top of the iPhone screen not working issue.
For an unresponsive top half touch screen, professional repair is needed but before that, you can check some possible solutions first.
3 Basic Checks for Top of iPhone Screen Not Working Issue
First, you can start with the system fixes and check if the screen is workable. The success rate of this kind of method is relatively low, so they might not help you if you have more serious issues. Then you can go to the next part to check some advanced methods.
1.1. Restart Your iPhone
Many background processes will start afresh when the device restarts. So, if the software is the reason for the top part of the iPhone screen not working problem, you can try restarting the iPhone.
For iPhone 8 and earlier models, press and hold the side or top button till you see the slider.
For iPhone X and later models, press and hold the side button and either volume button until the slider is seen.
Turn on the device and check if the issue is resolved.
1.2. Clean the Device Screen
Touch screens won't work effectively if they are wet or dirty. They will also be unresponsive if you have ever used with dirty or wet hands. So, the first thing to do is to clean your iPhone screen with a soft and clean cloth.
1.3. Remove the Screen Protector
Most often the screen protectors will make the touch screen unresponsive. So just remove the screen protector on your iPhone and then restart to see whether the touch screen is working or not.
6 Advanced Ways to Fix Top Half of iPhone Screen Not Working
When the basic methods given above didn't solve the issue, you need to try advanced ways for fixing this problem. Here is a brief comparison you can check first.
|Success Rate||Difficulty||Required Time||Data Loss||What Can Be Fixed|
|iMyFone Fixppo||100%||Easy||Short||No||All system/software issues|
|Update iPhone||50%||Easy||Long||No||Some software issues|
|Change Settings||30%||Easy||Short||No||Only setting issues|
|Uninstall Apps||30%||Easy||Short||No||Only app issues|
|iTunes Restore||70%||Complex||Long||Yes||Most software issues|
|Apple Support||100%||Complex||Long||Depends||Most hardware/software issues|
2.1. Fix Top Part of iPhone Screen Not Working without Data Loss
Most of the time, this issue may be probably caused by the internal iOS system, so you can fix the iPhone top of the screen not working issue with the help of iMyFone Fixppo.
- It is an advanced tool that helps in fixing various iOS issues with a 100% success rate.
- It supports iOS versions from iOS 7, and all iOS devices including the latest iPhone 13/11 and iOS 15.
- Only 3 steps will help you solve this kind of issue, including iPad Multitasking Not Working, iPhone echoing, and so on.
- What's more, it has been recommended by many professional websites.
- Step 1. Launch Fixppo on your computer and click "Standard Mode". Connect the device to the computer and click "Next". The tool will detect your iPhone automatically and proceed with the next step. If it does not, you have to put the device in DFU/Recovery Mode.
- Step 2. When the iPhone enters the DFU or Recovery mode, the tool will detect your device correctly and show the latest firmware versions. Select the appropriate versions and click on "Download".
- Step 3. Check your device and the firmware information. Now click on the "Start" button. The software will start the process of fixing the iOS issues automatically. Check if you can restart your iPhone normally. Your issue will be resolved on restart. If it doesn't start, you have to retry or try the advanced mode.
Many users have sent good feedback to us and here is one of them.
2.2. Update iPhone to Latest Version
When you update your iPhone to the latest iOS version, most of the issues get resolved. Follow the steps to update your device.
- Open Settings and go to General -> Software Update.
- Your iPhone will check if there is any new update available. You can download and install the update if available.
2.3. Adjust iPhone Touch Screen Sensitivity Settings
For iPhone 6s and later models, the unresponsive or inaccurate touch might be caused by the 3D Touch sensitivity issue.
- Open Settings and navigate to General -> Accessibility.
- Tap 3D Touch and adjust the slider to adjust the amount of pressure required to activate the 3D Touch.
- If the issue still persists, turn off the 3D Touch and then try again.
2.4. Uninstall the Problematic App
If you have recently downloaded an app and facing the touch unresponsive issue then you might consider uninstalling it.
Long press on that app and tap on the cross symbol on it to delete the app permanently.
2.5. Restore Your Device via iTunes
Before restoring the iPhone to factory default, back up your device to prevent data loss. You can use iTunes, iCloud or any other software you trust. After backing up, you can restore your device.
- Open iTunes on your computer and connect your device.
- Choose your iPhone and click on Restore under Summary pane.
- When you click Restore again to confirm, iTunes will erase your iPhone and install the latest iOS. The device will restart after it gets restored to the factory settings.
- You can set it up as a new device or restore the last backup. Check if the top of the iPhone screen not working issue is resolved.
2.6. Contact Apple Support Center to Solve Hardware Issue
The last resort is to contact Apple Support and explain your problem. If there is something wrong with the hardware, you need to choose this method.
Tip. What if Losing Data after Fixing the Issue?
If the issue gets resolved and you discover that the iPhone data is lost, you can use third-party software to recover the lost data.
iMyFone D-Back is a wonderful tool that helps in recovering the lost or deleted data without backup. It supports all the iPhone models and iOS versions.
- Open D-Back software on your computer. Click on "Recover from iOS Device" and click "Start". Connect iPhone to the computer. D-Back will automatically detect your device and tap "Next".
- Choose the file types you need to recover and click "Scan".
- After the scan is over, the recoverable data will be shown. Choose the files you want to recover and then click "Recover".
All the methods given above are secure and can easily solve the top of the iPhone screen not working issue. You can try the methods you prefer. If you have queries regarding this issue, just leave your comments below.