iTunes is known to have bugs and errors that keep occurring from time to time, making the entire experience of iPhone file management and file transfer a hassle. One of these issues occurs when iTunes tries to update to a newer version. This error prevents users from launching iTunes by showing a message "iTunes cannot be opened while it is being updated". This problem occurs relatively more on Mac than on Windows.
How to Fix "iTunes cannot be opened while it is being updated" on Mac?
Following are some effective solutions. You can try them one by one until the problem is solved.
1 Uninstall and Reinstall iTunes on Mac
Completely uninstalling and then reinstalling iTunes usually solves iTunes-related issues. It is recommended that you install the latest version after uninstalling iTunes. And if you already have the latest version, then resetting its settings might help. In any case, you will need to uninstall the software completely. A complete uninstallation of iTunes will delete your user settings, playlists, etc.
Apple does not make it easy to uninstall softwares, especially iTunes. So the process requires some extra steps.
Step 1. Simply drag the iTunes icon from desktop and drop it into Trash.
- If you can’t proceed with the above mentioned method, then go to Applications folder, right-click the iTunes.app file, and click Get Info.
- Once the information is displayed, click the padlock icon and type in your Admin Password.
- Navigate to Sharing & Permissions and set ‘everyone’ to Read & Write. Now you will be able to uninstall iTunes via dragging its icon into Trash.
Step 2. Once the iTunes icon is in Trash. Empty it.
Step 3. Find and launch Activity Monitor. Once there, find and remove iTunes Helper.
Step 4. Now remove the files with ‘com.apple.itunes’ at the start. You will find these files in Library > Preferences.
Step 5. Restart your Mac.
Step 6. Download and install latest version of iTunes from the official website.
2 Update the macOS to the Latest Version
Updating the macOS to the latest version is likely to solve any iTunes issues you may be facing (including the “iTunes cannot be opened while it is being updated” issue). Here are the steps:
Step 1. Open App Store and search for macOS.
Step 2. Click on the latest version from the results and select Download. You may need to provide your Apple ID information to proceed.
Step 3. Once the download is completed, you will be asked to begin the installation process.
Step 4. Click Continue if you are ready to install.
Step 5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software update installation process.
3 Start iTunes in Safe Mode
Sometimes, opening iTunes in safe mode can solve this issue. Safe Mode prevents third party plug-ins from loading. Here is how to do this,
Step 1. Hold down Option-Command. And then open iTunes.
Step 2. Click on Continue. Then iTunes will be opened in safe mode.
How to Avoid "iTunes cannot be opened while it is being updated" Issue?
Try an iTunes Alternative
Using a third-party iPhone file transfer tool is an effective solution to avoid all the hassle of iTunes. iMyFone iPhone Transfer is a recommended choice if you want to follow this route. It is a great file transfer tool that has been designed specifically to make your iPhone file management and file transfer experience convenient and fun. Not only does it offer all the features that iTunes has, it is also free from bugs and errors (such as the one mentioned in this article). This makes TunesMate a perfect iTunes alternative.
Here are some key features of this software:
- Two-way transfer; transfer files from your computer to iDevice, iTunes to iDevice, and vice versa.
- Sync files without erasing your previous data.
- Rebuild your iTunes library within a few clicks.
- With TunesMate, you can enjoy faster transfer speeds without any risks of losing data.
- All media formats are supported including videos, music, playlists, photos, etc.
- Effectively manage your iDevice apps, photos, and videos.
- Create and customize ringtones from your iDevice music.
- Highly recommended by many professional software review webistes, such as Getintopc, Geekreply, tricksworldzz.com, etc.
Step to Sync Music from Computer
Step 1. Launch iMyFone TunesMate on your Mac.
Step 2. Use a compatible lightning cable to connect your iDevice to your Mac.
Step 3. From the main page of TunesMate, select the Music tab.
Step 4. Once in the Music section, click on Add > Add File or Add > Add Folder if you wish to transfer an entire folder of music to your iDevice.
Step 5. After that, navigate to the folder on your computer that contains your music, select the songs you wish to sync, and then click Open. Your selected music will start syncing.