Smart Switch is a Samsung innovation to help people transfer data to a Samsung device. It is a free tool which Samsung designed primarily to help people switch easily to a Samsung Galaxy product. Smart Switch is compatible with the operating systems of most modern mobile phones, and it guarantees an efficient transfer without compromising the safety of the transferred data. Since the app has got more and more popular, questions about it surge. In this article we'll pick a few of them and give detailed answers.
Q1: Does the Samsung Smart Switch app need Wi-Fi to work?
Samsung Smart Switch works using either Wi-Fi or USB. Wireless transfers require the use of local Wi-Fi to connect the sending and receiving phones before data can be sent. USB transfers do not. Moreover, the app requires Wi-Fi connectivity not the use of internet Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi feature is automatically activated on both phones when the "Send data" or "Receive data" option is selected on the app.
Q2: Benefits of a wireless transfer method with Samsung Smart Switch?
Here are 2 outstanding benefits to use Samsung Smart Switch to wirelessly transfer data to a new Samsung phone.
- Speed: Using Wi-Fi to transfer data with Smart Switch is very fast. It sometimes gets as high as 10.5MB/s.
- Easy to use: Not worrying about where to find the right USB cable is a huge plus. Wi-Fi is also less difficult and easier to use because the connection is done automatically. This means the transfer process is simpler and easier to complete.
Q3: How to use Samsung Smart Switch with Wi-Fi?
The steps of using Samsung Smart Switch with Wi-Fi are quite simple. Check them in below:
- Download and install the Samsung Smart Switch app from the Google Play or the App Store. Launch the app on both the Samsung and the sending phone.
- Click on "Send data" on the sending phone and "Receive data" on the Samsung/receiving phone. Select the "Wireless" option of transfer. Doing this automatically triggers a connection for both phones over Wi-Fi.
- Once the phones are connected, a page showing all transferrable data would appear. Select all data you wish to transfer and click on transfer. Wait for the process to be completed.
Q4: Other ways to transfer data to Samsung wirelessly?
Developers all over the world have designed apps that can rival Smart Switch's ability to transfer data. In fact, there are a number of tools and software that surpass Smart Switch either because they offer better transfer speed or because they offer opportunity to transfer some types of data that are not enabled on Smart Switch. They are useful especially when you have problems with the app such as "Samsung Smart Switch not enough space".
4.1 Mobile Apps
2 popular mobile apps that can rival Samsung's Smart Switch, and also work via Wi-Fi, are discussed below.
Xender is a transfer app which boasts a transfer speed of up to an incredible 40MB per second using Wi-Fi. The Xender mobile app is able to transfer many types of data, including audio, video, apps, photos and documents including PDF, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. It is compatible with a variety of operating systems (OS) such as Windows, iOS, Android and it even works for transfers between computers.
Steps to use Xender to wirelessly transfer data to a Samsung phone
- Download the Xender app on both the sending and receiving phones. You can find it on both Google Play and the App Store.
- On the sending phone, click on "Send" option. This activates the phone's Wi-Fi hotspot. Click on the "Receive" option on the Samsung/receiving phone. The Samsung's Wi-Fi is activated and it scans and shows all private Xender Wi-Fi hotspots. Click on the one with the same name shown on the sending phone to connect to it.
- After completing Step 2, go to the data you wish to transfer by swiping through the options at the top bar. Select all the files to be sent and click on send. Wait for the process to be completed.
The ShareIt app is one of the world's most popular transfer apps. It transfers data at a speed of up to 20MB/s, making it about 20 times faster than Bluetooth. It is excellent for transferring all types of data, including music, videos, photos, documents and apps, among others. It uses Wi-Fi hotspot for data transfer, which means you do not need any type of USB to use the app.
Steps to use ShareIt to wirelessly transfer data to a Samsung phone
- Download the ShareIt app on the App Store or the Google Play. Install and launch the app on both phones.
- On the sending phone, tap on "Send" and "Receive" on the Samsung. Find and click on the sending phone's ShareIt avatar on the Samsung phone to connect the phones over a private Wi-Fi network.
- Select the files or data you wish to transfer and click on "Next" to begin your transfer. Wait for the process to complete.
4.2 Cloud Platforms
Cloud storages are a popular modern way to save documents. They are also very good for sharing data across multiple devices and operating systems, and they do not require transferring or sending any data. You simply upload and download them. Here are 2 of the world's leading cloud storage tools:
Dropbox is a cloud service app and web service, used by hundreds of millions of people to backup, store and share any type of data. Dropbox offers a 2 terabyte space to its registered users and an additional 3 terabyte of cloud storage space for its paying users on the "PLUS" package. Dropbox is able open a many types of data – up to 175 different types. It is also able to save documents and upload them while giving the user the option of creating a shareable link for others to access the data.
Steps to use Dropbox to wirelessly transfer data to a Samsung phone
- Download and install the Dropbox app on the sending and receiving phones, from the respective stores. Launch the app on the sending phone and make sure it is connected to the internet.
- Sign up for a Dropbox account to get 2TB of free cloud storage. All the data on the sending phone are displayed in-app. Backup all the data you wish to transfer.
- Launch the Dropbox app on the Samsung and sign in using the same login from the sending phone. All backed up files and folders would be immediately accessible on the Samsung phone. Download your desired data to the phone.
Tool 2.Google Drive
Google Drive is the official cloud storage platform of Google. The app, just like any other Google app requires a Google account to function. It offers a free 15 gigabyte of storage for its registered users and people who need more storage are able to buy extra cloud storage ranging from 100GB to as high as 20TB.
Google Drive does not offer a direct method of data transfer but uses a backup-restore transfer method. It uses internet connection to backup and restore files and data to any device connected to that single Gmail account.
Steps to use Google drive to wirelessly transfer data to a Samsung phone
- Download and install the Google Drive app on both the sending phone and the Samsung.
- Launch the app on the sending phone and sign up to get a Google account or sign in with an existing one. Once signed in, click on the plus (+) sign at the top or bottom of the screen to add the data you want to backup.
- Launch the Google Drive app on the Samsung phone and log in using the same Gmail account used on the old phone. The backed up data should be displayed. To have these data offline, download them to the phone's storage.
Q5: How to transfer data when Wi-Fi doesn't work?
As you can see, there are so many tools supporting wireless data transfer. However, transfers via Wi-Fi are usually affected by the network stability, where problems occur. So, when your Wi-Fi doesn't work or its weakness affects the data transfer, you can try the method we recommend in below, which only requires both your devices connected to a computer. This way you can avoid any unexpected network connection problem.
iMyFone iTransor Pro was designed to transfer WhatsApp and all the other underlying phone data from iPhone to Samsung in the simplest, safest way possible. It is a desktop app which transfers data via the use of USB cables. This makes transfers less prone to Wi-Fi connection issues, and it offers transfer speed that can rival most Wi-Fi based transfer apps.
The program is compatible with almost any type of iPhone, Samsung, and Huawei devices, regardless of the year it was made or the OS version it runs on. Here is how to transfer data with the app in 3 easy steps:
Steps to use iMyFone iTransor Pro to transfer data from iPhone to Samsung
- Download and install the iMyFone iTransor Pro app on a Windows computer here. Connect the iPhone and Samsung phone to the computer using USB cables in no particular order to the appropriate ports.
- Click on Transfer WhatsApp or Transfer Other Data. You can see the function descriptions of these two features once you choose either of them.
- Both ways will require you to follow the instructions to connect the devices with the computer correctly. You can set the iPhone as the source device while the Samsung as the destination one by the Switch button in between.
- After that, click on Transfer to begin the transfer process. (You need to choose the data types you want to transfer first if you are going with "Transfer other data".)
- Wait till the computer screen shows "Done" before disconnecting the phones from your computer.