Switching to a new operating system can be exciting; you will learn new things; you will have access to new features, and it is a fresh experience. However, it also requires you to experiments so that you are familiar with the workings of that particular operating system. In addition to that, you will also want your data to be moved from your old phone to your new one. If you were to stick with the same operating system between devices, this is quite a simple process because the methods for backup are the same so you can restore the information easily. However, changing operating system requires longer processes to transfer your information, with the closest thing to a direct transfer being the "official" transfer apps published by phone manufacturers, such as the Move to iOS app if you were moving to an iPhone.
If you have decided to switch to an iPhone after seeing its attractions compared to your old Huawei phone, then you may also want to transfer your data from Huawei to iPhone. This article will show you various methods, ranging from more complicated and time-consuming to extremely simple ones on how you can transfer data from Huawei to iPhone.
Transferring Single File Types - Taking iTunes for Example
If you only want to move a certain file type from your old Huawei to your new iPhone, this can be done in many ways. Although you can use the methods listed later, you may prefer to do it this way to keep an additional backup of your files on your PC.
Before you proceed to transfer your music, you need to be sure that you have downloaded your music files as .mp3. If you are using a streaming service, such as Spotify, then there is no need to manually transfer the files at all. You just need to download the app on your iPhone once it has been set up, log in with your account and you will have access to your music library. Then, if you prefer to have your music downloaded for offline access, you can do so.
If, however, your music is download in .mp3 files, you can transfer them onto your iPhone in the following way:
- Download and install iTunes on your PC.
- Connect your Huawei to your PC using a transfer cable.
- Locate the downloaded music files.
- Copy the files to another location, such as your desktop.
- Open iTunes and drag the music files to the Songs section, under Library.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC and click on the device button (indicated by a symbol of a phone).
- Select music from the listed options and check the box that says Sync Music. You can also choose to add additional music files to your iPhone if they are in your iTunes library.
- Wait until your music files have synchronised.
You should not delete the songs from your iTunes library after this is done, because the next time you connect your iPhone to your PC and sync it, it will result in those music files also being deleted from your iPhone. However, you can continue to add music files this way.
Transferring Data from Huawei to iPhone - Move to iOS Application
Apple understands that people will be switching from Huawei phones (which run the Android operating system) to iOS, and because of that, they have published the Move to iOS application on the Google Play Store – the app market for Androids. You can use this application to wirelessly move some files from your old Huawei phone to your new iPhone. However, before you do so, please check that you meet the following requirements:
- You have access to both phones during the transfer process.
- You have a strong, reliable Wi-Fi connection (so avoid using mobile data and any public Wi-Fi connections).
- You have sufficient storage capacity on your new iPhone. If you don't, you can deselect some of the file types during the transfer process so that your files can move over. This does mean that some of your files will not move over.
- Your iPhone is currently not set up. If it is and you would like to use this method, you have to factory reset your iPhone (this can be done through the device settings but will result in you losing your data).
Once you have made sure you meet these requirements, you are ready to begin the transfer process. You need to:
- Download and install the Move to iOS application from the Google Play Store on your Huawei phone.
- Set up your iPhone until you get to the Apps & Data screen.
- On this screen, tap Move Data from Android.
- Open the Move to iOS app on your Huawei and wait for a code to be generated on your iPhone.
- Enter this code on your Huawei device.
- Select the content that you will want to be transferred and pick Next.
- Wait until both phones show the transfer process to be complete (one phone might show the completion to be earlier than the other – do not stop at this point).
If this method doesn't work and an error comes up, reboot both phones, disconnect them from the Wi-Fi network, reconnect them and attempt this method again. If you Huawei shows with a sign saying you have a weak network connection, you can ignore it and continue the process.
The file types that you can select to move using this method are:
- Texts messages
- Media files – Photos and videos
- Email accounts
- Calendar data
Furthermore, if apps are available on both the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store, and they are free to download on both, then the iPhone will automatically install them on your iPhone.
Can You Transfer Files If You Don't Have Access to Your Huawei?
The short answer is NO, you can't. This is because you need access to the files, and the only way of getting access to them is by having access to your Huawei. However, if you have saved files to some other place, such as a micro SD card, or a cloud storage service, then you can access those files from there. For example, you may be able to get your pictures and videos if they were saved to Google Photos. This is why we recommend that you regularly take backups of the key data on your phone.